Some of My German Helmets

bryang

An Army brat, my father started me off collecting military items when he returned from Vietnam in 1973 and gave me a VC pith helmet he brought back.  We moved to Belgium, where my father was part of the NATO Commanders security detail.  One of the CID agents who worked with my father (Criminal Investigation Division) was a helmet collector, who gave me an old rusted out WW2 relic German helmet he had dug up as well as an old French military helmet.

At this point I got bit by the bug and developed an interest in collecting militaria.

As we lived in Belgium, each Sunday morning we'd visit the flea market in the nearby town of Mons, where I'd spend my weekly allowance on helmets and other military items.

These are the German helmets I picked up back then.  I was between 12 and 14 years old when I picked these up, and generally paid anywhere between $5 and $8 each back then.  Though most collectors are all about the condition of the items they collect, I was never one of those.  To me rough shape or pristine, each is still a piece of history.

This rusted red one is the one my father's friend gave me, starting me on the path of collecting.

P1010100a.JPG

P1010101a.JPG

P1010102a.JPG

iron bender

Really like the single decal army m40 helmet. The Luft m35 is also a nice piece. Not sure what the double decal helmet is. Kinda looks like a bundeswehr helmet dressed up. Army pith helmet and luftschutz are also nice pieces. The first helmet is most interesting to me. Looks like that thing sat in the woods since the war, with solid red paint. Makes me wonder why it would be painted in solid red. Very nice collection!