Type 2 Parachutist Rifle

bryang

Growing up, my favorite uncle was my Uncle Bill.  As a kid he used to let me play with the Japanese rifle he brought home from the war.  My uncle Bill served on an assault transport ship, the USS Broadwater.

When I was 15 or so, he gave me the rifle, along with the two uniforms he still had.  Also he gave me a pretty wicked machete he picked up in the Philippines, and a small U.S. flag.

Several years later while digging through some family boxes, I just happened to find the bring-back document for the Japanese rifle, signed by the Executive Officer of the USS Broadwater, along with a letter my fatrher had written to Bill, when my father was 9.  I was pleased to find some Japanese currency Bill sent to my father - on one of the bills he signed it to my father (Richard) "To Dickey From Tokyo 10/17/45."

So here is the rifle my Uncle Bill gave me, along with his other items, which are part of my family's military groupings.

P1010010a.JPG

P1010018a.JPG

P1010019a.JPG

P1010020a.JPG

P1010021a.JPG

Capturea.JPG

P1010129a.JPG

20140526_220356a.JPG

USS Broadwater APA-139a.JPG

Brian Keith

Second what Matt said. You just made a lot of Japanese rifle collectors extremely jealous! I suspect that the Mum is defaced (on the top of the receiver bridge) do the serial numbers of both halves match? Your uncle either had a good eye or was just very lucky to pick that rifle, worth many times more than the average Type 99!

Great family item,

Thanks for posting.

BKW

3 hours ago, Brian Keith said:

Second what Matt said. You just made a lot of Japanese rifle collectors extremely jealous! I suspect that the Mum is defaced (on the top of the receiver bridge) do the serial numbers of both halves match? Your uncle either had a good eye or was just very lucky to pick that rifle, worth many times more than the average Type 99!

Great family item,

Thanks for posting.

BKW

The mum is scratched off.  I'm sure the two havles match, though I'm not sure of the numbers - never really looked.  Next time I pull it out of the trunk I've stored it in I'll definitely take a look.