20 Para Battalion Kenyan Army

bryang

I was an Intelligence Sergeant in 5th Special Forces Group for 15 years, of the 22 years I was on Active Duty.  Part of our Area of Operations was the Horn of Africa, and so I made several training deployments to Kenya in the 1980's and 1990's.

Our counterpart was the Kenyan Army's 20th Parachute Battalion, and we lived and trained with them out in the bush.  And we did what soldiers around the globe do:  swapped military items.

During my deployments to Kenya I ended up with a uniform, a couple Denison Airborne smocks, insignia, and some smaller odds and ends.

While over there we always made parachute jumps with our hosts, and were subsequently awarded the Kenyan Army Parachutist Badge.

Here are some of my items from Kenya.

20140629_232345a.JPG

20140629_232350a.JPG

20140629_232548a.JPG

This Parachutist smock sports the Kenyan Parachutist Badge affixed to one arm - as the Kenyans were it.  Also, I had a set of my Zaire Army Parachutist Badge affixed to the other arm (I'll post my Zaire stuff later).

20150104_105800a.JPG

20150104_105821a.JPG

20150104_105837a.JPG

20150104_105847a.JPG

A set of my Kenyan Army Parachutist Wings and a copy of my certificate from the 20th Parachute Battalion awarding me their Jump WIngs.

Capture2.JPG

Capture3.JPG

triplecanopy

Very nice collection of Kenyan Airborne items. I recall those deployments, although I never made it to Kenya myself. I was in 3/5th 1983-1986.

That Zaire cloth parachute badge is also sharp. That was one of the best looking and coolest jump wings to come out of Africa.

DOL.

triplecanopy

The Jump Wing certificate shows a newer design of Kenyan Parachute wings that I believe is still in use. They evidently changed their design in the early 1990's.

Here are a few I have that are different in color and metal. I am wondering if you encountered any of these wings while you were there?

IMG_0968.jpeg

IMG_0969.jpeg

I was with the 5th Group MI Co at Ft Bragg from 1986 to 1988, then made the move with 5th Group to Ft Campbell.  I supported 3/5 back in those days, and my boss was SSG Gary Moore (pictured here with me in Zaire).  When I was with 3/5 I worked under SSG Les Jolly.  Les made the move to Ft Campbell and we both went to 2/5.  Did you know Steve Poteet? 

In '89 the SF Group MTOE changed, and the Support Bn went away, and we were each assigned to the battalions.  I went to 2/5, and we kept the Horn of Africa (3rd Gp took over Africa after it stood up).

I deployed to Zaire with 3/5 in '87, and then later that year to Kenya with 1/5.  Went to Kenya in '88 and '89 with 2/5.

To your question on the Kenyan wings, no I hadn't seen these that you have, and they're pretty damned cool.  As a forcer British colony, the Kenyans wore the Brit uniforms and wore cloth Jump Wings on their arm.  In '88 or '89 5th Group had Kenyan Parachutist Badges custom made to these metal ones, and sent a few samples to LTC Chuma, who at that time was the Commander of 20 Para Bn.  The Kenyan military returned a letter stating that the wings were of good quality and make and that they were officially approved to wear.

This is a photo of me (squatting) and Gary Moore (standing behind me) with a group of Zaire officers of the 31st Parachute Brigade in '87.

Capture2.JPG

triplecanopy

A couple of those names, Jolly & Moore, ring a faint bell with me, but I was gone from 3/5th SFGA by May of 86, so we must not have crossed paths. LTC Tangney had 3/5th at that time. 5th Group was still at Fort Bragg. I do recall a contingent from Kenya coming to Mott Lake for training in 1983, so there was an on going relationship.

triplecanopy

Colonel Larry Duggan was 5th Group Cdr when I left in 86. I don't know who took over after his time there. He was a really fine commander.