31st Parachute Brigade Zaire Army

bryang

In 1987 I deployed to the central African country of Zaire (now it's called the Democratic Republic of Congo) as a young Intelligence Analyst with 3rd Battalion, 5th Special Forces Group.  We trained with the troops of Zaire's 31st Parachute Brigade, during which we made parachute jumps with them, lived and trained with them.

The 31st Parachute Brigade had French Army advisors, and the brigade itself was actually commanded by an active duty French Army Colonel.  After a couple days at the 31st Para Bde headquarters in the capital city of Kinshasa, we made the very long flight to Shaba Province and executed a combat equipment jump onto the military airfield in the town of Kamina.  During the course of our time there, we trained with the Zaire Paratroopers and had a really good time with them.

And as all soldiers will do when they travel overseas, we swapped military items with our hosts.

I brought back a couple of their uniforms, one which was (at that time) the current camouflage pattern, and the other an interesting older pattern which the older vets still wore - sort of a verticle tiger strip pattern, which came with, what we called, "lizard caps" that had a flap on the back to provide some cover to the back of the wearer's neck.

I brought some some of their insignia as well.

We made some parachute jumps with them, and were each subsequently awarded the Zaire Parachutist Badge.  This badge was the coolest of the ones I was awarded and authorized to wear, and so throughout my Active Duty career I wore these on my dress green uniform.

This is the uniform which had been the current authorized uniform (at that time), and insignia.

20140629_220720a.JPG

20140629_220727a.JPG

20140629_220732a.JPG

20140629_220905a.JPG

20140629_220929a.JPG

20140629_220955a.JPG

20140629_222743a.JPG

T-shirts - The yellow shirt was worn by Zaire Paratroopers who had been part of the combat operations between Zaire and Tanzania based insurgents in the early 1980's around Lake Tanganyika.   The blue top I wore around (back when I was still a skinny young Soldier) for the 312th Battalion of the 31st Parachute Brigade, and the light bluish DSP shirt is from the Special Presidential Brigade.

The small cardboard posters were made and distributed by the team of Psyop and Civil Affairs guys who came with us.

P1010076a.JPG

P1010077a.JPG

P1010078a.JPG

Slide13a.JPG

Slide15a.JPG

My certificate and Jump Wings, which I have framed and mounted in my man cave.

The photo of me, my son-in-law and grandson was taken a few weeks before I retired.  I'm wearing the Zaire Army Parachutist Wings over my right breast pocket.  My son-in-law was also a member of the 5th Special Forces Group, and covered he's wearing Jordanian Parachutist Wings. 

I managed to return "home" to 5th Special Forces Group - and even back to my old battalion, 2nd Battalion, 5th Group - for the last few years I was in and then retired.

Capture10.JPG

20191202_103926.jpg

Capture9.JPG

triplecanopy

Great background info, wondeful story and interesting photos. Beautiful jump wings. Thanks for sharing!

All the best!

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, kammo-man said:

Wonderful pictures and information!!
What year were you there ?
Owen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went over there in '87.