Father's Bring-Back Helmet

bryang

My father served in Vietnam from 1972 to 1973, and brought me back this helmet.  Its the first item which started me on the path of military collecting.

It was stored away for a few decades, until I retired from the Army in 2008.  We bought a larger home which has an office, which my wife told me to make my own.  After a couple years I went ahead and strted to display items from my own 28-year military career (6 years Army Reserve, 22 years Active Duty).

I decided to mount my father's bring-back helmet alongside one of the Iraqi helmets I brought home from the First Gulf War.  Below each helmet are like items my father - and I - had brought home. 

The phot in between the displayed items in my father and me in 1980, when I graduated Army Basic Training.  I was 17 at the time, and had just finished 11th grade and was ready to start my senior year of high school.

P1010119a.JPG

P1010120a.JPG

P1010121a.JPG

Capture.JPG

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

Nice helmet, thanks for sharing it. I assume your father was an advisor? Also nice patches.

George

My father was a Criminal Investigation Division (CID) Special Agent.  He told me that there was no end to homicide and drug investigations, as well as tracking down deserters and drug smugglers over there.  He often wore civilian clothes. 

Here he is in South Vietnam on his bike.  Gotta like the handlebar mustache.

Capture.JPG

• 3 years later...