Bring Backs

iron bender

iron bender

This stuff was brought back by a 1st Cav trooper in 1971. Sadly there was an SKS that was destroyed in an ambush that 'disappeared' when the executor of this guys estate got their hands on it. Anyhow, this is a small glimpse into what a teenager brought home late in the war. Enjoy.... 

IMG_1545.JPG

IMG_1546.JPG

IMG_1547.JPG

IMG_1548.JPG

IMG_1549.JPG

iron bender

I've got the fatigues he wore out of the field for the final time, and a bunch of his personal items he used daily too. But sticking to the bring backs for this post

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

Already a great grouping on it's own, and you say there is more! Too bad about the SKS. The canteen with the cap is a quite early one. The date on the other one is likely either when the soldier began his journey on the "ho chi minh trail" or the date he entered the RVN.

George

• 9 months later...

Did the 1st Cav patch come from the VC? If so, it became spoils of war twice. Last time I saw a double spoils artifact was an M-16 at the EOD museum on Camp Pendleton: the VC modified it and used it, but the Marines captured it back. 

Thinking about it, those boots have been at least two people's spoils of war too. 

• 4 months later...
iron bender

Just noticed the responses to this post! Sorry about that. The wallet, pocket hanger and cross necklace were item's of his while in VN. I really need to photograph the whole group. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...