Japanese Sake Cup

SARGE

Fortunes Of War

Jack-

The cool thing is that they aren't expensive, don't take up much room and can be collected in themes.  They also make a nice display when placed among other Japanese Militaria.  If you choose to display them together, they look pretty impressive.  One collector told me that he likens them visually to mounted bayonet displays that he has seen.  One is nice, but rows of them are "sick"!

Bob- 

The nicest good luck flag sake cup I own came from you; thanks again.

Fortunes Of War

Here are a couple of the navy cups I like; too bad they are chipped.  The first one has a warship painted in gold leaf near the upper rim.  In the center of the cup, there is a raised anchor that used to be covered in gold leaf.  The second cup has a similar navy theme, minus the ship.  The inner design is a raised cherry blossom on the bottom of the cup, with a gold leafed anchor over the top.

IMG_0187 (2).JPG

IMG_0190 (2).JPG

Fortunes Of War

This cup was an award cup for a marksman.  The logo is similar to the corresponding badge with a gold leafed cherry blossom and two crossed rifles.  The crossed rifles also appear on the bottom.

IMG_0181 (2).JPG

Fortunes Of War

I like to collect cups with different versions of flags on them.  Most of the time there is a combination of national and battle flags but some of the time there is only one flag on the cup.  The cup on the right hand side is a little larger than the average sized sake cup.

IMG_0176 (2).JPG

IMG_0179 (2).JPG

IMG_0180 (2).JPG

Fortunes Of War

A few miscellaneous cups. The cup in the center has cherry blossoms and a battle flag as its theme.  The one in the center commemorates the China campaign and has a heavily gold leafed Japanese army helmet.  The green cup on the right has gold leafed cherry blossoms near the bottom and chrysanthemums outlined in white at the twelve o'clock.  

IMG_0184 (2).JPG

IMG_0185 (2).JPG

IMG_0188 (2).JPG

Fortunes Of War

That's an impressive collection, Bob.  I guess the dish in the center of the display is for people who don't like to have their food run together on the plate!  I had one of those when I was a kid...!

Jack the Collector

You guys are making me drool! I am becoming more attracted to them with each post in this thread.The reason I found this site was because of saki cups ( see attached )

Fortunes Of War

Jack-

That's a nice looking presentation set!  They are usually/eventually separated from the small tray/stand and from the box too.  I like that it's nicely documented too!

Mike

Fortunes Of War

I know it's probably supposed to be a family themed show, but I just came across one of my cups that has shunga or Japanese erotic art painted inside it.  These are quite common, even in Japan today, although this one is old.  I have one other and will post it if I find it.

IMG_0201 (2).JPG

Fortunes Of War

This is a commemorative/presentation cup that has a wash of gold (chased) applied to the outside.  

IMG_0196 (2).JPG

Fortunes Of War

Thanks Rich.  Both are a bit different.

Fortunes Of War

This cup has what appears to be the Imperial Guard emblem in the center.  The blue circle and bright gold leaf are pretty nice...!

IMG_0197 (2).JPG

Fortunes Of War

Here's another cup that is similar to the previous one in that it has a crane carrying a banner with ID. I like the looks of the flag, cherry blossom and star too!

IMG_0198 (2).JPG

Fortunes Of War

That's a good question.  Sake cups have to have some kind of rim or base to keep them upright.  The way they are designed, if there was no rim or flat-raised device on the bottom, the cup would easily roll.  That's a sweet design on your first cup: helmet, flag and cherry blossoms!  What is stenciled on the bottom of your second cup?  I'm having a tough time making it out...  

Fortunes Of War

This cup shows a partial map of China, located inside a cherry blossom.  Outside the cherry blossom outline are falling, pink-painted cherry blossom petals.  

IMG_0199 (2).JPG

Fortunes Of War

Rich- I agree, those are some nice cups!

Otter42- I really like your cups!  As I mentioned at the beginning of the thread, I am partial to cups with flags, award cups and navy ones. I really like that larger cup in your collection with the crossed cannons; the detail of the guns is nice.  I also like the one of the helmet, cherry blossoms and flag on pole.  I'll try and post some more a bit later.