Veteran's Organization Flag

bryang

My father was career U.S. Army (as was I).  He was a Special Agent with the Criminal Investigations Division (CID).  One of his fellow CID Agents came by this flag in West Germany in the late 1960's.

The story of it was that this CID Agent had stopped in a small German town at a gasthaus for dinner one afternoon.  While there, there was a group of elderly German guys, apparently drinking beer and swapping war stories - these were Veterans of the First World War who had been recalled to duty for the Second World War.  As the evening came on, the elderly guys were well toasted and started to sing some of their old marching songs, when one of them left and returned with the unit flag.

The NAZI symbols were outlawed.  Subsequently German Politzei showed up.  The American CID Agent knew, and worked with, the German cops and so he intervened.  He told the German police that the old guys were harmless, that they been hoisting a few beers and swapping songs and stories.

The cops left, and the old guys were grateful to the American who spoke up on their behalf.  They let him have the flag.

My father's friend found out that I collected military items and shipped this to me in the mid 1970's!

Though the flag itself is a bit rough, the leather case and wooden posts are nice, and the topper is pretty neat.  I've had this for about 45 years or so.

1a.JPG

2a.JPG

3a.JPG

4a.JPG

5a.JPG

6a.JPG

• 1 month later...

Very nice Vets Association flag.  The flag is correctly attached to the pole and the pole, topper, and cover are more scarce than the flag.