I'm interested in learning the differences between the enlisted and officer field caps (other than the stars). If you could post photos of the insides that would be great!

1 hour ago, MattS said:

I'm interested in learning the differences between the enlisted and officer field caps (other than the stars). If you could post photos of the insides that would be great!

Matt I took these photos weeks ago to post on two other forums and everything is packed away but I'll try to help.The inside of an EM hat usually but not always has a removable white muslin lining for cleaning that's held in place by 4 to 6 stitches.Officers usually have a silk like lining and mostly have their name embroydered inside.You can go over to Griffin Militaria as I know Dan has one of each for sale with photos of the inside and outside, or you can look though his archives of items sold, I know there is at least three officers hats in there that he sold and probably as many EM.I hope this helps.

Bill

Just now, shemp h. said:

Matt I took these photos weeks ago to post on two other forums and everything is packed away but I'll try to help.The inside of an EM hat usually but not always has a removable white muslin lining for cleaning that's held in place by 4 to 6 stitches.Officers usually have a silk like lining and mostly have their name embroydered inside.You can go over to Griffin Militaria as I know Dan has one of each for sale with photos of the inside and outside, or you can look though his archives of items sold, I know there is at least three officers hats in there that he sold and probably as many EM.I hope this helps.

Bill

Thanks! I've bought several things off Dan lately. 

Officer insignia can be metal or gilt embroidered. Chinstrap buttons usually have gilt cherry blossoms/mum. Liners are often silk or synthetic shiny  material. Sometimes owners name will be embroidered on interior . A true army officer's field cap should at least have two-three above mentioned details. Lots of post war faked civilian field caps

Edited by St.Lukas
20 hours ago, St.Lukas said:

Officer insignia can be metal or gilt embroidered. Chinstrap buttons usually have gilt cherry blossoms/mum. Liners are often silk or synthetic shiny  material. Sometimes owners name will be embroidered on interior . A true army officer's field cap should at least have two-three above mentioned details. Lots of post war faked civilian field caps

Thanks for the info! 

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...