How about some headgear?

shemp h.

Moring Guys, I thought I'd post a couple photos of some of my headgear.Thanks for looking.

Bill

IMG_20200426_101950_111.JPG

IMG_20200426_102046_036.JPG

IMG_20200426_102146_816.JPG

I'm interested in learning the differences between the enlisted and officer field caps (other than the stars). If you could post photos of the insides that would be great!

1 hour ago, MattS said:

I'm interested in learning the differences between the enlisted and officer field caps (other than the stars). If you could post photos of the insides that would be great!

Matt I took these photos weeks ago to post on two other forums and everything is packed away but I'll try to help.The inside of an EM hat usually but not always has a removable white muslin lining for cleaning that's held in place by 4 to 6 stitches.Officers usually have a silk like lining and mostly have their name embroydered inside.You can go over to Griffin Militaria as I know Dan has one of each for sale with photos of the inside and outside, or you can look though his archives of items sold, I know there is at least three officers hats in there that he sold and probably as many EM.I hope this helps.

Bill

Just now, shemp h. said:

Matt I took these photos weeks ago to post on two other forums and everything is packed away but I'll try to help.The inside of an EM hat usually but not always has a removable white muslin lining for cleaning that's held in place by 4 to 6 stitches.Officers usually have a silk like lining and mostly have their name embroydered inside.You can go over to Griffin Militaria as I know Dan has one of each for sale with photos of the inside and outside, or you can look though his archives of items sold, I know there is at least three officers hats in there that he sold and probably as many EM.I hope this helps.

Bill

Thanks! I've bought several things off Dan lately. 

Officer insignia can be metal or gilt embroidered. Chinstrap buttons usually have gilt cherry blossoms/mum. Liners are often silk or synthetic shiny  material. Sometimes owners name will be embroidered on interior . A true army officer's field cap should at least have two-three above mentioned details. Lots of post war faked civilian field caps

20 hours ago, St.Lukas said:

Officer insignia can be metal or gilt embroidered. Chinstrap buttons usually have gilt cherry blossoms/mum. Liners are often silk or synthetic shiny  material. Sometimes owners name will be embroidered on interior . A true army officer's field cap should at least have two-three above mentioned details. Lots of post war faked civilian field caps

Thanks for the info! 

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

As of now, the Japanese Militaria is on the move price wise! The TR stull went through the roof and out of reach for most, now the Japanese Helmets are starting to push upwards of $1000.00 for nice all original and complete Helmet as most of all the IJA & IJN Militaria is doing now.

I have seen really nice IJN Helmets pushing $2000.00 on eBay! I'm glad I started collecting years ago! LOL

1 hour ago, spag199th said:

As of now, the Japanese Militaria is on the move price wise! The TR stull went through the roof and out of reach for most, now the Japanese Helmets are starting to push upwards of $1000.00 for nice all original and complete Helmet as most of all the IJA & IJN Militaria is doing now.

I have seen really nice IJN Helmets pushing $2000.00 on eBay! I'm glad I started collecting years ago! LOL

You got that right Sal,IJN lids are really climbing in price, I know of two stencils but I can't remember where .that exceed $1200.00 and the liners are ,IMO,pretty ratty.Italian War Front had a stencil on his site for a few weeks that looked almost mint a few months ago for I beleive $950.00! I couldn't believe nobody grabbed it, so he sold it on flea-bay for just under 2K.I considered buying it but I already have one and I've been concentrating my funds on my TR headgear collection.If you keep an eye open you can still find nice IJA lids for under $850.00 depending how you like them.

Bill

5 hours ago, shemp h. said:

You got that right Sal,IJN lids are really climbing in price, I know of two stencils but I can't remember where .that exceed $1200.00 and the liners are ,IMO,pretty ratty.Italian War Front had a stencil on his site for a few weeks that looked almost mint a few months ago for I beleive $950.00! I couldn't believe nobody grabbed it, so he sold it on flea-bay for just under 2K.I considered buying it but I already have one and I've been concentrating my funds on my TR headgear collection.If you keep an eye open you can still find nice IJA lids for under $850.00 depending how you like them.

Bill

No, he put it on eBay and got over $2000.00. I was watching it. I saw it on his web site and really kind of forgot about it with moving in all. I should have grabbed it for the $950.00!!  lol

• 3 months later...
Fortunes Of War

Just to further add to St. Lucas' post on officer's embroidering their names in their field caps; this was a special feature that you see more often in custom made caps.  It was an option that "the man with money" could choose... if he wanted to pony up!