Ks98 sawback

kilgarvan

kilgarvan

Hello All. Looking for some help on this. I “think” it’s a private purchase KS98 sawback. I had thought WW1 era but scabbard leather says 1938. Unmarked. Thoughts on what this is and value? Please PM me value if cannot he posted here.

F13DA791-AC32-43E1-B58D-BDEF58A67CBC.jpeg

Your KS98 is a private purchase version with a nice sawback and what appears from the photo to be two screwbolt grips.  The scabbard and frog are apparently for the S84/98 ( I think) and do not belong with this KS98 bayonet.  If the scabbard has a distinct lip on the throat it is for the KS98 but if it does not and has a single screw on the edge of the scabbard securing the throat piece it is for the S84/98.  Your pictures are not very clear but if the grips are plastic and have two screwbolts instead of rivets your bayonet may have been made by Pack during the time of the Weimar Republic. 

Can you show us a close up photo of the obverse hilt (like you did the reverse) and the scabbard throat?

KS98 Sawback bayonet.JPG

KS98 sawback bayonet hilt.JPG

kilgarvan

Sarge, thanks!

Here are the pics. Please send along your final thoughts on this. Thanks you!

FF0CCE10-523B-4A27-B659-7452C64C8AD5.jpeg

32998553-71EE-4552-BFCC-BBA3ADF242FF.jpeg

Good photos.  Your scabbard is the correct one for your sawback KS98 bayonet.  These are often a bit wider than the standard KS98 scabbard so the scabbard is correct and the frog probably is as well since the frog for the S84/98 was wide enough to accept it although not made for it.  Your frog has been dyed from brown to black so probably done by the soldier.  Pack made some of these sawbacks using screw bolts instead of rivets so that may be your maker.  

I hope this helps.