Hillersleben 1945 – Sd.Kfz. 553 “KAISERKAEFER”

Proud Kraut

Proud Kraut

When I first saw this kind of “alternative timeline” models some time ago I had a good laugh, what a nonsense! During the last months I found more and more of these kits, most of them in 1/72 scale. The KaiserKaefer (imperial bug) draw my attention and finally I thought about starting something total different, a “what if” diorama: U.S Infantry fighting against an experimental war machine in 1945.

I`ll post the build of the dio an the U.S. figures at the USMF:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/342069-hillersleben-1945-–-man-vs-machine/&tab=comments#comment-2747961

To be a little bit more present at both forums I`ll post the progress of the bug´s build here. So here´s the 1/35 kit from modelcollect´s Fist of War series.Boxart, decals and construction manual (with technical data of the KK!)

KK1.jpg

KK2.jpg

KK4.jpg

If anybody could make this look good, it would be you with your skills.  I can't wait to see how this turns  out!

Yes definitely looking forward to seeing how this one turns out. Especially since its going to be a diorama. BTW: Whatever happened to the Dora big gun build? I haven't seen anything else on it.

Semper Fi.

Manny

I think I seen  one who built a diorama of Tamiya 1/35 scale Germans battling dinosaurs in the 80s, I think it might of been in a 80s issue of the American MILITARY MODELER Magazine, these one's here, or was it in a catolog, can't remember LOL, but it was quite a depature from the usual.

image.png.3a26e2ed1564818c5ad4ac02b41b27a1.png

12 hours ago, patches said:

I think I seen  one who built a diorama of Tamiya 1/35 scale Germans battling dinosaurs in the 80s, I think it might of been in a 80s issue of the American MILITARY MODELER Magazine, these one's here, or was it in a catolog, can't remember LOL, but it was quite a depature from the usual.

image.png.3a26e2ed1564818c5ad4ac02b41b27a1.png

I used to ALWAYS buy Military Modeler magazine at every opportunity when I was younger. Nice to see it here.

Semper Fi.

Manny

Proud Kraut

Thanks guys! I have started to build the weapons stations ( 2 x 75 mm gun).  Not too much for an advanced war machine, isn´it? What stumped me is the absence of any close defence weapons so I have decided to upgrade the weapon systems of the KK. In addition the KK will get a "guard" of 3 remote controlled armed "Goliath" mini tanks. A worthy final enemy for the US Infantry platoon!

P.S.: @Manny: I´ll post a picture of the Dora soon. I`m afraid we have to shorten the barrel, it´s way too long (28 cm).

KK9.jpg

Proud Kraut

The right weapon station now with 8,8 cm gun and two 2 cm machine guns which even will get larger magazines.

KK10.jpg

Proud Kraut

1st leg completed. Fortunately they are maneuverable, that´s important for one scene of the dio.

KK12.jpg

Proud Kraut

Thanks Manny, meanwhile the KaiserKaefer is ready to learn to walk.The interior painting isn´t complete yet.

KK15.jpg

Proud Kraut

Left weapon station with 7,5 cm gun and twin-barelled 2 cm gun & right weapon station with multiple rocket launcher and 2 cm twin-barrelled gun.

KK16.jpg

KK17.jpg

Nice touch Lars. I like that you replaced the other 75mm gun with a Nebelwerfer. Those 20mm guns are more than enough to repel approaching infantry. Definitely this is one machine I wouldn't want to confront. In my opinion I figure a Sherman Firefly, M10 or M18 tank destroyers could have the firepower to take this thing out. This thing is a beast.

Semper Fi.

Manny

My only question about this beast is who changes out the magazines on the the 2 cm guns during a firefight?  

Sorry... it's still a terror that would have been ahead of its time!

Proud Kraut

Good point, Gil! The mazines can´t be changed out during a firefight, that´s why I extended the 20 rounds magazines to 40 rounds magazines. Of course overall 160 x 2cm rounds are still not too much.  Larger drum magazines would be nice, I will think about it again...

KK20.jpg

Well since you won't be firing at aircraft, per se, with those 20mm guns, I would say that 40 rounds per magazine is a nice load. The 20mm round can do a lot of damage to regular infantry in the open or in defilade and to soft vehicles and armored cars.

Semper Fi.

Manny

Please don't change the design per my comments.  I am sure late in the war the designers would have opted for simple solutions.

It was just a thought of how this would actually work.

Proud Kraut

Too late (I didn´t like the extented magazines either). They were replaced by 3 magazine containers with 6 magazines on each side. Looks much better and we have increased the 2cm ammo from 160 to 240 rounds. Thanks again for the hint!

KK22.jpg

Proud Kraut

Close ups of the remote contolled Goliath mini tanks. One with 2cm gun (with 4 magazines) and one with MG42.

KK24.jpg

KK25.jpg

KK26.jpg

KK27.jpg

WOW! Kudos to you Lars. Your kitbashing and scratchbuilding have really made this a weapon that would have been feared to have come upon in combat. Nice job on changing your design of the 2cm ammo mags. Your Goliath tankettes are a great touch. This is a great project so far and I'm looking forward to your diorama with the American soldiers engaging this thing. 

Semper Fi.

Manny

Proud Kraut

Manny, thank you! Not much progress here. I have started to paint the interior. I think I will not waste much time on it because the KK will be displayed "in action" with closed hatches. At the moment I´m thinking about how to paint the whole kit. Not sure if it will be some kind of "hull red unpainted" prototype or extraordinary camo style. We´ll see...

K28.jpg