Captured by US Army probably PI

Garandrew

Fortunes Of War

Hello Garandrew- That is a nice collection of flags as shown in the images.  I can see what appears to be a Nazi podium banner/flag, a Japanese good luck signed flag, a Japanese national flag , a Japanese battle flag and a signed/captured Japanese national flag.  Are these flags in your collection?  If so, are you able to take closer, clearer images of the signed/captured Japanese national flag and some of the different signatures?

Mike  

Yes I can tomorrow I will get better pics it’s signed by a US artillery unit I believe Chicago guys 

Fortunes Of War

Man!  How I appreciate another flag guy!!!  No worries; post when you can.  Your navy battle flag looks full size; how large is that?  

Mike

Fortunes Of War

I am familiar with the 124th F.A. as I was doing some similar research on F.A. units attached to the 33rd Division during the War.  The 124th fought on New Guinea and Luzon, P.I.  It's often tough to get a real detailed batch of information on these F.A. units as many of them were attached to larger units that were deemed to be "much more important" to the history writers post-war (sad but true!) 

It's always key when you have a captured/signed Japanese or Nazi flag to make sure that the signatures are written in fountain pen (no ball point pens available at the time), and to be sure that the signatures appear to have been written in different hands.  There was a "run" on unit signed capture flags in the recent past and many if not all were signed with Sharpie or similar writing device. 

Thank you for taking the time to post the flag and for giving me the dimensions of your other naval flag; very cool!

Mike 

Fortunes Of War

That definitely looks like fountain pen from here.  More often than not, you see the signatures with that sort of, "spreading out" of the ink, due to wicking from the material.  I forgot to include the insignia from the 124th F.A.  earlier, so here it is.  

Mike

124th FA Crest (2).jpg

Fortunes Of War

You are welcome!  Interesting discussion and a great flag collection!

Mike

Fortunes Of War

Garandrew-

Wow, another amazing looking flag!  Where do you display all of these flags, especially the larger ones?  I am jealous for whatever room that you have.........!

Mike

Fortunes Of War

Garandrew-

That is all really nice.  I would love to have the room to display my long Japanese nobori.  Some of them are over 40 feet long.  A few years ago, the Ruth Funk Center for Textile Arts located at the Florida Institute of Technology did a display of a number of my flags and banners.  I would guess that not since the War had those banners been hung; parts of the facility have really high ceilings.  Along  with the many, many good luck flags and other wartime related send-off items, it made quite a display.  To ever have that kind of flag display room again would indicate that  had died and gone to heaven!

Mike

Fortunes Of War

Yes, exactly!  The picture that comes to my mine would be the huge, long ones displayed at Nuremberg and elsewhere.

Mike

Fortunes Of War

Probably the best thing to do with German and German related items is to begin a thread or post over on the TR side of the website; this site is for Japanese items.  The "Moderator" may move this over there anyway.......

Mike