Named WWII RCAF Navigator Grouping-Served in No. 578 Squadron

mndoss

This uniform grouping belonged to Flt Lt John Robert Bower-Binns. After enlisting in 1942 he was posted to England where he served as a navigator in No. 578 squadron flying 37 missions on Halifax heavy bombers. He received his DFC in Dec 1944, it was posted in The Gazette on 8 Dec 1944. According to his obituary after VE Day he volunteered for service in the Pacific but the war ended before he could be transferred there.

The grouping came with his four pocket jacket, trousers, overcoat, visor cap, side cap, a second side cap, some documents, navigation tools, and a framed photo of him. The second side cap is newer and I’m assuming was a veteran’s association-type cap. The visor cap has his name in it and “Like Hell it’s Yours” written on the inside. The jacket has a few moth nibbles and some paint stains on the left sleeve. Unfortunately while being shipped the glass frame broke with the photo, luckily the photo underneath wasn’t damaged. I’m going to keep it as is however since the damage isn’t too bad and it’s a really unique RCAF frame.

The grouping also came with his sewing kit and two old razors in their cases. I forgot to take pictures of those when I had all of his stuff out.

There’s still some more research I need to do on him but he definitely had some very exciting wartime service to say the least.

Bower-Binns, John Robert.jpg

Bower-Binns_1.jpg

The documents include a 1939 prayer book, a Battle of Britain memorial booklet, a Pathfinder reunion booklet from 1981, and a Douglas Horizontal and Parallel rule and USA-made protractor. What’s funny is that the prayer book has written on it that it’s to be returned when not being used! I couldn’t find a publishing date in the Battle of Britain booklet, there was some text in it stating proceeds for it go to the Air Raid Fund or something of that nature so I’m wondering if it was wartime produced.

Bower-Binns_7.jpg

Oops, just saw the Canada section and probably should have posted this there. Still new to the fourm! Mods feel free to move it there.

17 hours ago, mndoss said:

Oops, just saw the Canada section and probably should have posted this there. Still new to the fourm! Mods feel free to move it there.

Moved to Canada section as requested.

A very neat grouping BTW.  

On 5/22/2020 at 10:55 AM, SARGE said:

Moved to Canada section as requested.

A very neat grouping BTW.  

Thanks for the assist in moving this thread! Actually, would you be able to move it to the Canadian Uniforms sub-forum? Thanks!

10 hours ago, mndoss said:

Thanks for the assist in moving this thread! Actually, would you be able to move it to the Canadian Uniforms sub-forum? Thanks!

No sooner said than done! 

That is a nice uniform grouping.   The newest wedge-cap is indeed an Association cap in this case for the RCAF.   Your Battle of Britain book was part of the wartime British Information Series of books which were published for general information on the war in; the UK, Canada and the United States.   Your copy was obviously published North American and dates from 1941.

Thanks for the info on the book! That's kind of what I figured it was but glad that I could get some confirmation.

Here's a pic I found of him from a ceremony in 2013, he's the one on the left and looks to be wearing the same veteran's association cap that came with the grouping.

Bower-Binns_Reunion.jpg

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/15/2021 at 9:25 AM, Ranger44 said:

Hello,

Great grouping. Is there a label inside his cap? Is it a Canadian or British made cap?

Unfortunately the label in the cap is missing. The only manufacturer markings are "Real Roan Leather" stamped into the leather sweatband. Other than that, on the other side of the sweat band Bower-Binns wrote his name on one side and "Like Hell it's yours!" on the other. I'm assuming it's a British made cap as that's where the uniform appears to be made based off of the tailor's label.