Unknown county or era paratrooper wing: Belgian

Tonomachi

Anyone recognize this cloth paratrooper wing.  It has zig zag stitching around the perimeter edging that you see on Rhodesian paratroooper wings but this does not look Rhodesian.  It has a little age to it maybe 1960s.  The design itself is similar to a British paratrooper wing that was copied by many of the commonwealth countries.  The color combination I have seen on a couple of Belgium paratrooper wings so it might be an early Belgium paratrooper wing.  Any ideas?

s-l1600 (18).jpg

s-l1600 (19).jpg

triplecanopy

Dennis, I believe you are correct. It looks like an early Belgium parachute badge. I have one that is real close to it without the zig zag stitching.

• 1 year later...

This is another beret which I guess to be Belgian with unknown paratrooper patch. It is marked ABL Cofabeba 1975 and has the owners name, Vilain, written in. I have owned for over 25 years, I know no history on this one was a gun show pickup. Any information and identification would be welcome.

Tim

76701BD8-C716-4E12-8C30-0739D33EED7B_1_105_c.jpeg

66B5F506-1685-43CB-A1C5-C361E5CDD173_1_105_c.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/27/2021 at 7:03 AM, Outtair said:

This is another beret which I guess to be Belgian with unknown paratrooper patch. It is marked ABL Cofabeba 1975 and has the owners name, Vilain, written in. I have owned for over 25 years, I know no history on this one was a gun show pickup. Any information and identification would be welcome.

Tim

76701BD8-C716-4E12-8C30-0739D33EED7B_1_105_c.jpeg

66B5F506-1685-43CB-A1C5-C361E5CDD173_1_105_c.jpeg

Just saw this and you appear to have a scarce theater made paratrooper wing that could be Belgium but the same pattern and colors were also used by the British and a couple of their commonwealth countries like India.   It looks older than the beret but I don't think there is anyway of determining the exact era of manufacture.   The Belgium military were in the Congo but I think they left in the 1960s.  I don't have a photo but I've seen a similar British made paratrooper wing with a larger than normal tan colored background material identified as a Royal Marine jump wing.

On 10/23/2021 at 12:10 AM, Tonomachi said:

Just saw this and you appear to have a scarce theater made paratrooper wing that could be Belgium but the same pattern and colors were also used by the British and a couple of their commonwealth countries like India.   It looks older than the beret but I don't think there is anyway of determining the exact era of manufacture.   The Belgium military were in the Congo but I think they left in the 1960s.  I don't have a photo but I've seen a similar British made paratrooper wing with a larger than normal tan colored background material identified as a Royal Marine jump wing.

I have been a Belgium Paratrooper in 1982. This was nothing official in 1975.

I found a photograph of a copy of the British Royal Marine paratrooper wing I mentioned above that is similar to the one on the beret.   The numbers at the base of this wing mean nothing as there were a series of copies made in this fashion to fool collectors as they were all bogus.

s-l1600 (25).jpg