Sword Candlesticks

SARGE

Gents,

Here is a set of matching sword candlesticks.  These candlesticks were made up from original existing NOS (new old stock) parts during the Allied occupation in order to generate a little money or trade material for cigarettes or food.  Since these were constructed from available existing parts they are sometimes "Frankenstein" swords and daggers that are still recognizable as German Army, Navy, Air Force, etc. edged weapons.  This pair of candlesticks were made up as generic Wehrmacht swords.  Newly unemployed sword makers started making these the day after the surrender was signed.

Sword candlesticks.JPG

Sword candlestick.JPG

Sword candlestick langet.JPG

This pair of candlesticks were made with parts of several different models of WKC swords. A backstrap from one model and a guard from another. A generic grip and some new unused and unwanted Luftwaffe grip wire. These things become collectable in their own right and I bet some of our members have similar pieces in their own collections.

stratasfan

These are really cool! Thanks for sharing! I suppose this is a different take on the idea of being able to turn any item in to a lamp! Was this something only done in Germany, or did other countries do this, as well?

Good question Elizabeth.  I have seen the various electric lamps made out of decommissioned British muskets and WWI German helmets, etc.  This is the same idea of making now unwanted military surplus into bric-a-brack.  

Two US surplus dealers did this quite extensively.  Floyd Stokes-Kirk and Francis Bannerman made various candelabra out of unwanted edged weapons and angular bayonets and sold them in their catalogs and storefronts.  Here is an example of a single candle wall sconce made from surplus US Civil War angular bayonets.  Never let anything go to waste if there is a niche market for it.

Bayonet sconce.JPG

Bayonet sconce mks.JPG

Bayonet sconce back.JPG

Neat items! I guess candlesticks make more sense than lamps at this particular time in Germany. An old timer I knew that recently passed away was in the occupation and said it was quite a victory in the late 40s when German households in Berlin were supplied with electricity for 1 hour a day.