Vet Bring-back Helmet

Dirk

This one came from the vet a number of years ago and is part of a larger group that he has given me over time. The Vet was a Marine in an Air Warning Squadron and participated in the Okinawa Campaign. He has not shared much of his military background while in theater, only once recalling being at his radar was late in the war, set up on a very small island off Okinawa, and recalling a Japanese bomber coming so low he could see the pilots faces as they went past his radar station. He also provided some capture papers, one of which lists a helmet. This one has a hemp rope netting secured to the liner of the helmet. Also a name on the inside of one of the liner pads.

IMG_8815.JPG

IMG_8814.jpg

Thanks Dave! Since the vet is still with us I hope he will explain how he got it. That should be recorded for histories sake.

Rod thank you!!!! I was hoping someone could translate it for me! John had told me last year to look for a name under the liner, but I never did until today. He was right there was a name.

Hi Dirk, the white kanji in photo number four painted on the inside rear skirt is the character for size small.If the liner is pliable look under the front pad for a date, my guess is since it's a small the number there shouldn't exceed 16 ( 1941 ), supposedly small helmets were discontinued that year.

Bill

Bill thank you as well! The liner is pretty pliable so I will look......but on my initial inspection the only marks I thought I saw on the pads was the name 

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...