Another Nambu

Dirk

This is another Vet bringback....I believe it's a Type 14 Nagoya Second pistol. I think with a June 44 production date, and with its holster. 

IMG_8805.JPG

IMG_8806.JPG

IMG_8807.JPG

IMG_8809.JPG

Great pistol.  I really like these Nambu pistols but have yet to find one at a decent price that was in nice shape.  Would love to add on to my small Japanese collection someday.

Thanks Brian! My brother in law was able to get it very cheaply from a friend whose father bought it back. Like you a have a small Japanese collection.....now looking for a sword of some type 

• 3 months later...

Dirk, as fate would have it I had a coworker call me today and tell me he has a Type 14 that he will sell me.  Hope to get some pics so I can get an idea of what to offer as the only time I really see these are at gun shows.  Don't pay too much attention most of the time to Gunbroker or other online auction sites.  He thinks it is a late 1944 production date and is in "fair" shape but no holster.  It was his uncle's bring back and unfortunately I have nothing else right now to go on.  Will post pics later when I get them for your opinion.

Brian fantastic! Hoping it works out! But I am no expert on these , so hopefully others will chime in. I see them on gunbroker, but this one came very cheap through my brother in law that I could not pass it up. 

Have a chance to pick this up......thoughts?  Is the condition bad, or were these not blued like the early production models?  This is a Nagoya Arsenal, 2nd series, July 1944 production date.  Thoughts on this rig?

IMG_1576.JPG

IMG_1573.JPG

IMG_1574.JPG

IMG_1578.JPG

IMHO these 19.7 and 19.8 dated Nagoya second series guns are the most numerous and most common to find.  The bluing process was a hot salts dip, so as the bluing tank weakened the finish became thinner.  The purplish/plum color of the safety is always a striking contrast with the frame and slide. 

If the magazine is matching, in the condition shown I would place a top retail value of $650 on the pistol.  If your friend has any provenance (bringback papers) placing the pistol to his uncle, then you could add $75-100.  Your location could also impact value...on the left coast items sell for a little more than my location in the mid-west.  A fair friend-to-friend sale should be in the $550-$600 range.

Thanks for all the comments everyone.  I was able to pick this up for a very fair price so it is now a shelf queen in the collection.  I will take better pics soon but I did partially strip it down and clean it lightly with gun oil and a soft cloth rag.  Also removed the grips and rubbed them lightly with wood oil as well.  In doing so, to my delight, I discovered that all the SN do match, including the inside of the grips and the magazine.  Bonus on that!

Again, thanks for the help and input and am glad to have one as a representative piece in my collection.