Tiger painted senninbari vest

Fortunes Of War

Fortunes Of War

This tiger painted senninbari vest is done in black, gray and white colored ink.  The vest is a senninbari, with the knots being sewn across 2 front sections of the vest's lower left- and right-hand sides.  The woman who stitched the knots, made them in the shape of 2 lotus blossoms.  There are multiple lines of kanji inked across the back.  The snarling tiger is standing upon a rock outcropping and is making his move downward, on the hunt.  The characters up by his ear are for the slogan, "Certain Victory!".  Down near the tiger's tail are the characters for the mantra, Samuhara.  This Shinto mantra offered protection from harm, to the wearer, especially from harm in battle.  The characters near the tiger's nose say, "Divine Powers for Earnest Wishes", while the long line nearest the tail say, "Praying Everlasting Battle Fortunes for a Victorious Imperial Army Soldier!"   One of my favorites...............!

Mike

IMG_5461 (2).JPG

IMG_5458 (2).JPG

Fortunes Of War

Hello Dave and Bob-

I have to agree with the both of you.  It's hard to imagine that someone would really have worn this into the field but I would be the last person to argue with the various stains upon the material.  This vest was there and it was worn.  I have two others, each different and more interesting than the other.  I will try and post another in the next day or so.  My nicest vest really is a work of art, Bob.  There is gold leaf paint or something similar painted on it.  The tiger literally lights up when you see it, it's that fine.  In any case, my interest in senninbari and especially those with painted tigers, continues un-abated.  Very happy to share here........Have a great weekend!

Mike