Tiger Painted Senninbari Vest #2

Fortunes Of War

Fortunes Of War

I wanted to post another tiger senninbari vest.  This example has its 1000 stitches or knots made from red cotton thread.  In combination with the white cotton material of the vest, the red and white color combination provided good luck to the wearer  The knots run in rows, all across the front of the material.  As each knot was added, it was believed that there would be a compounding of good luck, sort of an exponential increase in protection.  The colorful tiger is painted  in red, orange, orange-brown, black, gray and white colored inks or paint.  Written horizontally in kanji, across the neck is the slogan, Ki Buun Chokyu or "I Pray Your Military Fortunes Are Long Lasting."   The rather scribbled lines of characters, just to the right of the tiger's back, are a poem that speaks about "being a shield for the Emperor."   There is also a date but the year is a bit fuzzy to read; the rest says, "July 28th...."

Mike

IMG_5462 (2).JPG

IMG_5454 (2).JPG

• 2 months later...
Fortunes Of War

Thank you for your reply.  Yes, the belts were more typical of the senninbari normally seen.  In fact, pretty much any article that had the 1000 knots, or stitches placed on it was a senninbari.  I have seen senninbari caps, senninbari service hat covers, senninbari sashes, senninbari belts, senninbari vests, senninbari flags, etc.  That pretty much gives you the range.  I have even seen an officer's sword belt that had a tiger stitched on it as a senninbari.  They are all quite unique and one of the reasons why I enjoy collecting them.

Mike