Identified M30/38 Gas Mask

SARGE

Gents,

I thought I would show an identified M30/38 gas mask that I found over the weekend.  This is a standard Wehrmacht issue gas mask and can with some interesting attributes.  The can is the taller Model 38 style with a zinc plated liner.  The inside of the can and the rubber mask are in excellent condition while the outside is uncleaned, and un-messed with, having the look of a so-called "barn find" and the story is that it came out of Poland.  Buy the item and not the story.

The can has the owner's name and unit on the spare eye lens compartment inside the lid as many do.  This particular gas mask belonged to a Motorized Gendarmerie NCO serving in Mot. Gendarmerie Platoon (Zug) 72,  This was the last wartime Gendarmerie motorcycle unit, with the highest unit number, deployed in the East.  Its Feldpost number (fn. 106) was allocated on 10 October 1944 according to Angolia/Taylor, "Uniforms, Organization & History of the German Police", Vol.2, pp.743-748.  

The straps on this can are still configured in the manner that allowed the gas mask to be worn on the chest instead of having the long strap slung across the shoulder and the short strap hooking onto the rear of the belt to wear on the hip.  This manner of wear on the chest will be seen in photos and films showing German motorcycle platoons in action.  The can itself shows several small dents and penetration by what appear to be shrapnel hits.  There is one hit seen on the long strap.  One wonders the fate of the owner?

Gas mask.JPG

Gas mask & filter.JPG

Gas mask filter.JPG

Gas mask in can.JPG

Gas mask name.JPG

Gas mask eye filters.JPG

Gas mask can.JPG

Gas mask can latch.JPG

Thanks for the kudos.

I was very happy to find this particular gas mask.  What most interested me was that this fellow was from one of the 72 independent Motorized Gendarmerie units and from the last one authorized to boot.  These were sort of Blitzkrieg style quick reaction motorized units (Zug) of around 30 men each.  I see that one of the drivers in your motorcycle sidecar rigs in the modeling section has his gas mask worn in front of him.  Good work!

After doing a bit more research on Gendarmerie Zug (mot.) 72 I discovered that this unit did in fact operate in occupied Poland.  So the story is sometimes correct and can be verified through research.

This unit operated out of Lublin along with its two sister units of Zug (mot.) 70 and Zug (mot.) 71.  Their Zug commander is listed at this time as Leutnant d. SchP Posch.  They worked with SD and Sicherheitspolizei units in the areas of: Nisko, Kryzyow, Ulanow, Zarzecl, Brandwica, etc.  They are listed as taking casualties and were shown engaged in fighting on 04. 05/03. 44 bei Chmielek.  All three units are also shown operating with indigenous Police SCHUMA units in this part of Poland.  

Thanks for the information Gwar.  I did not recognize the logo.  

There was a large police supply depot in Vienna along with the Police Tank School.  It makes sense that a local maker would supply equipment to various motorized police units through this equipment depot.