Hinomaru flag

Dirk

Had this one for a number of years and had it framed professionally with UV Pexi. The conservator used fine threads to attach the flag to its backing. From what I was told of the translation: "Certain Victory Against the US and U.K. Enemy". The owner was Serigi Kawamura. Other lines include: "Good fortune in war." "Do your best for Japan", "Enhance national prestige" and of course there are a few family names on the flag. Sadly, although it came with a translation, the bring back story has been lost to time.

IMG_8862.JPG

IMG_8864.JPG

IMG_8865.jpg

Fortunes Of War

Dirk-

Sorry to take so long to reply; I have been laid up the last week-plus.  This is a really nice looking, very typical good luck flag.  It sounds as though the conservator did the mounting work, just as it should have been done.  Sometimes sewing the silk to a stronger backing is necessary, in order to preserve long-term, the integrity of the silk flag.  It is a process that has been done for a long time and while it sounds a bit counter-intuitive, is the standard of preservation in some instances.  This is another reason to be thankful for private collectors and for their best efforts.  Many, if not most museums , have such small budgets, that their collections languish and are not on display.  The cost to properly preserve is simply too high.  My hat goes off to you for taking the time and making the investment, in order to "do it right".  

Mike

Mike a big thanks for your kind words. The conservator was a long time artist for the Department of Defense, before he retired, doing a number of the Pentagon didpays. He was not cheap, but I trusted him to do it right. When I gave him the job he knew exactly what to do, and what backing to use, and told me why he was doing it the way he was going to frame it. 

Fortunes Of War

HI Dirk-

That's an interesting story.  I'm not sure that you would be able to find too many other people with those kind of credentials, to mount your flag.  Again, nice job and thank you for sharing it with us.

Mike