Afghan Commando AIDO Handouts

Nkomo

It isn't every day that I get to add something obscure to the collection, but today two items arrived that I consider to be in that category.

I'm sure some of you saw these for sale on Ebay. I was the only bidder on both items and I think that may have been because people didn't know what they were

From what I understand, the toy Afghan Commando soldier and the stocking cap/toboggan were items that were given out to civilians by the Afghan Commando AIDO (Afghan Information Dissemination Operations) as a way to ingratiate themselves into the hearts of the local populace. It was a type of "hearts and minds" campaign.

From what I understand, the toy soldier was given out to children in order to promote a positive image of the Afghan Commandos to them. The soldier has a large Afghan Commando patch on the left sleeve, a Commando knife on the belt, and an M4 carbine (somewhat stylized). It is also wearing the maroon beret of the Commandos. I have seen one other of the Afghan Commando toys and it was at Ft. Bragg and was not for sale at the time.

The stocking cap/toboggan has direct embroidery on it and has the station number of the local AIDO run Commando Radio in Kabul.

https://www.dvidshub.net/news/55842/promoting-truth-with-commando-radio

Afghan.jpg

Afghan1.jpg

Afghan2.jpg

Afghan3.jpg

Afghan4.jpg

Photo By Master Sgt. Gloria Wilson | Two U.S. Army soldiers move antennas during the move of Camp Morehead's Commando radio station to its new facility Aug. 31. In addition to a physical move, the radio station installed new equipment that increased coverage in Kabul from 25 percent to 100 percent. The expansion of coverage allows the radio station to reach more people with music, Commando updates, and important news.

1111.jpg

CAMP MOREHEAD, AFGHANISTAN
Photo by Tech. Sgt. Gloria Wilson
NATO Special Operations Component Command-Afghanistan
Subscribe57

A U.S. Army Special Operations soldier confirms that Kabul's Commando Radio is broadcasting off the right frequency, 95.1 FM, at Camp Morehead Aug. 31. The radio station, which has taken steps to increase popularity, listenership, and effectiveness, is an important asset for disseminating information to Afghan people.

111.jpg