Better pictures of the SS letter

Garandrew

Proud Kraut

München 45 - (Munich)

3 SS (?) Aus. Ers. Rgt - Abrevation for: 3rd SS (Flak) Ausbildungs- und Ersatzregiment, an Anti Aircraft Training and Replacement Regiment

SS Kaserne

Ok thank you would it be Waffen SS? I did not know SS units had AAA using 8.8 I’d guess. Any idea what she wrote to him? Thanks so much for your help and he must have received it in the field?

Proud Kraut

Yes, the Waffen SS had almost all branches the Heer had as well, including all different combat and combat support branches. I´ve had a hard time to decipher the address since I can only read the old German "Suetterlin" writing rudimentary. If you would post larger pictures I could give it a try. As this unit was a replacement unit garrisoned in Munich, I assume he received this letter during basic training.

On 6/17/2020 at 1:27 PM, Proud Kraut said:

München 45 - (Munich)

3 SS (?) Aus. Ers. Rgt - Abrevation for: 3rd SS (Flak) Ausbildungs- und Ersatzregiment, an Anti Aircraft Training and Replacement Regiment

SS Kaserne

More like 3. Batterie SS (Flak) Ausbildungs- und Ersatz Regiment, Wouldn't you say Lars.

The 3rd or in German, 3. would indicate a unit of the Totenkopfverbände, IE the 3. SS Panzer Grenadier/Panzer Division Totenkopf. but their replacement units where up north in Brandenburg, in the town of Oranienburg.

Proud Kraut

@patches: This could very well be (3rd Battery)

@Garandrew: Good pictures! Unfortunately I can´t read the writing. In August I`m meeting a man who can read (and write) Suetterlin. I`ll ask him about your letter.

• 2 months later...