VN flags real?

easterneagle87

I don't care for either one of them.

If you go on eBay and search for "VC Flag" or something similar, you will find dozens of these "hero unit flags".

Such flags did exist during the wartime period, and even more were made later to commemorate victories for 20th and 25th year celebrations.  

The stars on these are terrible in their shape and use up a lot of thread.  Generally wartime ones used a cloth applique as thread was somewhat expensive compared to cloth.

You do see embroidered stars on some flags that are more ornate, and are for ceremonial purposes with fringes and high quality cloth.  But those were embroidered in a different, richer manner.

The shade of yellow used for the embroidery is too light, too pastel.  It should be a richer, deeper shade of yellow.

I especially do not like the blue material on the bottom of the second one.  It looks like a modern synthetic blend.  Wartime flags generally should be cotton.  

Unless you have rock solid provenance on something like this, I'd walk away.  I wouldn't even want them as a table cover at a show.

If you are thinking of collecting VC/NVA items, I strongly recommend Emering's Weapons and Field Gear of the North Vietnamese Army and Viet Cong.    It's a good primer on the subject, it is well illustrated and is reasonably priced.  It doesn't cover everything, but it is a good place to start.

https://www.amazon.com/Weapons-Field-Gear-North-Vietnamese/dp/0764305832/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Weapons+and+field+gear+of+the+North+Vietnamese&qid=1592790832&sr=8-1

vintageproductions

Vietnam souvenirs from war mart.

Once you see a real one you would never look at these again.

• 2 years later...