Bavarian regimental merit/honor cross awards

Bob Hudson

I picked up this piece with a group of WWI and WWII medals that were passed down to family members (until now). 

This piece seems to commemorate service with the 13th Royal Bavarian Infantry Regiment  Franz Josef.

I have found similar pieces online from other regiments but I see them called "Regimental Cross of Honor," "merit cross," "commemorative cross," etc. and so far I can't figure out if there was some sort of official name and protocol for award of these.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

The pin and attachment were loose in the box, but I found a photo online showing  a similar medal with those pieces mounted on the back of the ribbon.

6.jpg

Here's the one on ebay that has the pin atttached to the back. This is from the Royal Bavarian 12th Infantry-Regiment Prince Arnulf  and also has the Bavarian Jäger Battalion Raupenhelm helmet with crossed rifles.

Screen Shot 2020-06-29 at 8.38.14 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-29 at 8.38.30 AM.png

Proud Kraut

A very nice Erinnerungskreuz and you are 100% right, it´s the 13th Bavarian InfRgt. The full name of the unit was Königlich Bayerisches 13. Infanterie-Regiment „Franz Joseph I., Kaiser von Österreich und Apostolischer König von Ungarn“

Many more variations of these crosses do exist: "Treu dem Regiment", "Treu dem Bataillon", "Treu der Marine" e.g. These crosses were inofficial decorations, privat purchased by WW I veterans or "awarded" to WW I participants by regimental associations.

• 1 year later...
Fred Borgmann

In the Detlev Niemann book 3rd edition he lists these as "Regimental, Batallion  etc. Commemorative Crosses of the Former German Army" and lists them in a price range from 40- 90 dollars.

2 hours ago, Fred Borgmann said:

In the Detlev Niemann book 3rd edition he lists these as "Regimental, Batallion  etc. Commemorative Crosses of the Former German Army" and lists them in a price range from 40- 90 dollars.

thanks