Mk III or Mk IV Helmet Used in Korea?

RickInVic

I've read the Mk III helmets issued to Canadians for D-Day, and later use in NWE, were returned to Great Britain at the end of the war.  I'm wondering if anyone knows if Canadians used either the Mk. III, or more likely the Mk. IV, in Korea and/or at all?  I've been looking photos and most of our troops are wearing soft headgear.  I've found a couple with definite Mk. II helmets and even US M1 helmets but I did come across a photo were the helmet could possibly be a Mk. III/IV. It could also just be the shape of the helmet net with a field dressing underneath or perhaps a British soldier was with the Canadian soldiers.

I guess the wider question is whether Canada ever adopted the Mk. IV?  I know we still had Mk. IIs around in the 70's as I wore one in the butts while attending to targets on the rifle range.  Did we go straight from the Mk. II to the US M1 or did we adopt the Mk. IV for a brief period?

Thanks,

Rick

• 7 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I think I can shed a little light on this topic RicklinVic there is no official record of Canada purchasing the Mk IV helmet and the fact that they were supposed to return all existing Mk III helmets to the crown at the end of WW II as they were just on loan makes this an interesting subject...
There are very few images that support there use during the Korean War it is thought that they could perhaps have drawn on existing stores or requisition supplies through the Aegis of the Commonwealth Division to which the Canadian 25 Bde belonged to...
With that said I have recently come upon a few interesting images and thought it relevant to share them here...

The 1st image below is SF 5752 B Coy they are taking over a position in Korea 19 Dec, 1952...

unnamed (25).jpg

I have quite a few more images that I can share in regards to this subject matter but I have received a notice  ( That I have reached the maximum allowance of posts that I can make in a day ) so I will leave this here and hope I can add more to this as time permits...

SF 5737 17 Dec, 1952 Building up there cover...

unnamed (67).jpg

SF-6993 Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry July 53 take note the soldier on the right is wearing a US Marine cover and I am of the opinion the soldier on the right has a covering on his helmet as well either hessian and or a section of green cloth...

unnamed (3).png