Tragedy of war.......

Jack the Collector

Jack the Collector

Some items from my collection,some may say that these items below are macabre,me it is a part of the history and history must be told.These are no different than the other things we collect except for one thing.Most all the militaria we have was involved in the horror of war,the items like these bring it visual and remind us.First is a couple of "sign of life" telegram/letter.One describes to their relative, the bombing did little damage,broken glass.The other tells of much worse damage.

IMG_20200706_0001.jpg

IMG_20200706_0002.jpg

IMG_20200706_0003.jpg

IMG_20200706_0004.jpg

Jack the Collector

Next is a photo announcing the death sentence of a few people for possession of firearms.My German is not the best if the German members want to clarify what I believe it interprets,feel free.

IMG_20200706_0005.jpg

IMG_20200706_0010.jpg

Jack the Collector

These are truly sad,death notice of a family being killed in a bombing....."terror attack" also death notice of a husband and wife.Somber.

IMG_20200706_0006.jpg

IMG_20200706_0007.jpg

IMG_20200706_0008.jpg

IMG_20200706_0009.jpg

In the small country village where my wife (then girlfriend, later fiance) rented quarters, there was a memorial in the middle of the town with an Iron Cross.  Some of the names on there were soldiers, but a couple looked like civilians with the notation "Bombengriefen".

Ellweiler is almost directly West of the major military base at Baumholder.  The Americans tried repeatedly to bomb Baumholder, but it was often obscured by fog. 

The practice back then was if you could not locate your targets, you simply dropped them anywhere in Germany on the chance that you might hit something.  The only strategic item in Ellweiler back then was timber and chickens.  It was luck of the draw that bombs landed in this small village. 

It was a sobering moment to find that memorial.  The countryside there today is so peaceful.  I never could bring myself to take a photo of it, out of some sense of respect.

Proud Kraut
21 hours ago, Jack the Collector said:

Next is a photo announcing the death sentence of a few people for possession of firearms.My German is not the best if the German members want to clarify what I believe it interprets,feel free.

IMG_20200706_0005.jpg

IMG_20200706_0010.jpg

You are right, its a proclamation saying that two men were shot by a drumhead trial for owning weapons illegaly. It´s in two languages, I think the second one could be Polish. Haven´t decipher the writing on the back yet

• 1 year later...
Jack the Collector

I picked this up last month and where I am,we are a wee bit snowed in at the moment.So I have had time to try my translation lack of skill on this.This is a sign of life letter.It reads as follows(I hope). Sent by a German to a family member after an air raid on Duisburg on December 19,1944 .

Urgent message to Charlotte Lockert, High Command of the Navy SKL Aden ON 1-4 in Berlin W 35, Tirpitzufer 72/76

Sign of life from Eduard Lockert from Duisburg

Date: 19. December 1944

Attack on 18. December - House burned down to the basement - we are living next door

IMG_20220127_0001.jpg

IMG_20220127_0002.jpg