Two 'Kriegsmarine im Dienst' books

Dogsbody

I recently found these two books. Normally one copy would suffice but inside both books there is an added bonus. They are individually named to two scholars who took part in a competition and appear to be signed by Grossadmiral Raeder himself (whose signature funnily reads as Raider). 

SAM_9704a.jpg.bd9a6a499028eaee236a21db04e2f347.jpg

SAM_9705a.jpg.3b1f344e39618bb173c20ad4c63d7ffe.jpgSAM_9706a.jpg.937806ec9f4e2c1f0efdfb293140b193.jpg

Hi Rene.

Wow!  and Wow! 

Since my German is a little rusty, can you give me any info on the books? And what was the competition you mentioned? 

Mikie

Jack the Collector

That is a great score,if you want to determine if the autographs are real get a jewelers loupe...if you have one and see if the ink has "bleed" into the paper or if it appears to be solid and laying on the surface.Second,look at the intersections of the letters and see if the ink crosses over,that is what you want to see,not solid and even color at the junction.To me they both look like the style of his signature.

On 7/8/2020 at 8:58 PM, mikie said:

Hi Rene.

Wow!  and Wow! 

Since my German is a little rusty, can you give me any info on the books? And what was the competition you mentioned? 

Mikie

Hi Mikie, the books themselves are a sort of pictorial reprsentation of what it's like to be in the navy. They were issued by the German Navy. Unfortunately I have no clue about the competition. My best guess is that it may be some sort competition amongst new recruits or something like that. 

Here are some pics from the book.

SAM_9709a.jpg.a4830d23cb1759e4d06ec90a39e2cb66.jpg

SAM_9713a.jpg.78d867f04c5779d79d797eb05499da5d.jpg

SAM_9710a.jpg.b06e8c36204d9ab51eb88f52254502c0.jpg

SAM_9711a.jpg.fbda16f1ea294af061b9ced9e9f7b0c5.jpg

On 7/8/2020 at 9:50 PM, Jack the Collector said:

That is a great score,if you want to determine if the autographs are real get a jewelers loupe...if you have one and see if the ink has "bleed" into the paper or if it appears to be solid and laying on the surface.Second,look at the intersections of the letters and see if the ink crosses over,that is what you want to see,not solid and even color at the junction.To me they both look like the style of his signature.

I'm quitely confident that the signatures are real. There is overlap at certain points. The only thing that will be hard to determine is if Raeder himself signed the books or that he had someone do it for him.

Here is a better picture of one of the signatures.

SAM_9715.jpg.cec7308c8e7f0c664035164dd11aad07.jpg

Jack the Collector
2 minutes ago, Dogsbody said:

I'm quitely confident that the signatures are real. There is overlap at certain points. The only thing that will be hard to determine is if Raeder himself signed the books or that he had someone do it for him.

Here is a better picture of one of the signatures.

SAM_9715.jpg.cec7308c8e7f0c664035164dd11aad07.jpg

Sorry,the original photos it was hard to see the lay of the ink.This shows its a live signature and again they both look good to me.Now if you have compared these to others of his and it's giving you doubt,let me tell you this.Raeder  had a very inconsistent signature.Varieties are not uncommon.You will see him sign very clearly to a scribble.

Rene,

Remarkable not only that you found a book quite possibly signed by him, but to find 2 of them!  Very cool! 

Hope this doesn't sound silly, but are there any pictures of sailors doing laundry or laundry hanging out to dry?  If so please post them. Well, OK,  after writing that, it's hard for that NOT to sound silly.  But it's a way of life for me.

Thanks!

And hope all your goodie hunting goes as well as this one.

Mikie

15 hours ago, mikie said:

Rene,

Remarkable not only that you found a book quite possibly signed by him, but to find 2 of them!  Very cool! 

Hope this doesn't sound silly, but are there any pictures of sailors doing laundry or laundry hanging out to dry?  If so please post them. Well, OK,  after writing that, it's hard for that NOT to sound silly.  But it's a way of life for me.

Thanks!

And hope all your goodie hunting goes as well as this one.

Mikie

Hi Mikie, here you go.......

SAM_9719.jpg.ad43da75f533dbe006443cfebb5742cc.jpg

There's also another picture that might be of interest to you........ especially since your recent forays into model shipbuilding 😊

SAM_9720.jpg.f7051aeeed6b0b2b516c98896b01435a.jpg

Rene

16 hours ago, Jack the Collector said:

Sorry,the original photos it was hard to see the lay of the ink.This shows its a live signature and again they both look good to me.Now if you have compared these to others of his and it's giving you doubt,let me tell you this.Raeder  had a very inconsistent signature.Varieties are not uncommon.You will see him sign very clearly to a scribble.

Thanks for the extra info!

Rene

3 hours ago, Dogsbody said:

Hi Mikie, here you go.......

SAM_9719.jpg.ad43da75f533dbe006443cfebb5742cc.jpg

There's also another picture that might be of interest to you........ especially since your recent forays into model shipbuilding 😊

SAM_9720.jpg.f7051aeeed6b0b2b516c98896b01435a.jpg

Rene

Oh how wonderful!  Thank you Rene!  I've been hunting the internet for a few weeks and haven't come up with anything.  Just in case you were wondering about how severe my madness is, here is my explanation... 

I have 2 US navy veteran friends who are also WWII buffs.  I like to give them navy themed gifts for Christmas and birthdays.  Well a while back I found these little gems and thought I could make a display for them.  Hence the quest for German sailors doing laundry to use in a display. 

Thanks again!    You are my hero!  

Mikie

K C Pins.jpg

On 7/13/2020 at 10:07 AM, Dogsbody said:

Hi Mikie, glad I could help. Nice Kriegsmarine clothespins, by the way.

Rene

Thanks.  Glad you like them. Just let me know anytime you want to trade one of your books for one!  Even trade, you won't have to pay any extra.   

Mikie