P.08 Pistol Lanyard

SARGE

Gents,

I recently picked up a P.08 Luger lanyard that I thought I would show.  WWII German pistol lanyards are little understood and heavily reproduced.  This is an example of what is commonly known as a leather "Luger lanyard" but I am certain it could have been used with other German pistols with lanyard staples or rings.  There is evidence that these round leather lanyards were worn by WWI and WWII cavalry and mounted Troopers.  There are period photographs of German lanyards in wear and we know that some of these lanyards were supplied to the Portuguese Army when the Germans sold them Luger P.08 around 1940.  There is also written evidence from internet forums that German horse soldiers were ordered to wear lanyards in 1935 and 1940.  A fair use quotation from Luger Forum follows.

"Regarding the very limited archive material about the lanyards:
The Commander of the Army orders the use of the lanyard for horse mounted troops with P08 pistols in the general army publications of the 22nd of November, 1935. Besides the reason and methods of use this order specifically mentions that the CARBINE HOOK is to be left attached to the pistol at all times in order to prevent the loss of the lanyard.

With another order of the 7th of May, 1940 the P38 as well as a lanyard for that pistol is introduced and described. Here again the CARBINE HOOK is replaced by a loop which, compared with the CARBINE HOOK, provides better protection against losing the pistol.

This is as clear as I can make it. Everything else would be twisting the truth.

I hope this has helped to answer some questions about the use of the lanyard loop.
"  

Notice these official orders indicate there were two types of attachments to the pistol.  One method was by use of a metal "Carbine Hook" and the other was by means of a leather loop.  This "Luger lanyard" that I show utilizes a leather loop for attachment to the pistol.  The other lanyard for the P.38 that was introduced in 1940 was a flat woven fabric lanyard with a leather loop attachment to the pistol.  But that is another story and a different WWII German pistol lanyard.  

Luger lanyard.JPG

Luger lanyard braid.JPG

Luger lanyard swivel.JPG

Luger lanyard slide.JPG

Luger lanyard back.JPG

Thanks Tony, it is nice to know when your efforts are appreciated.

I will mention that there are three generally accepted period styles of this P.08 lanyard.  First, is the one with a short loop that I show.  Second, is the same lanyard with a slightly longer loop.  Third, is this lanyard with a "carbine hook" in the form of a metal snap hook attachment instead of a leather loop.  The Germans were also adaptive and some WWI photos will show German soldiers utilizing bread bag straps as lanyards along with the official versions.  They probably did the same thing in WWII.  

A couple of "red flag" points to look for to keep collectors out of trouble with reproductions.  1. the cone shape of the brass stud on the loop is distinctive and originals should have this style of stud.  2. notice the even round stitching around the base of the stud, reproductions tend to have uneven hand stitching.  3,  the brass swivel is constructed with lead solder on originals.  Three strikes and you are out with me as I generally do not buy something I can't explain as one or two anomalies.  

• 6 months later...

Thanks for the kudos G2.  I think looking at original examples helps to keep us out of the weeds with reproductions.