Australian experimental Bayonet Austen SMG

Capt.Case

Hello , just picked up this bayonet at a flea market and have searched the internet with no success .  Was wondering if anyone knows what is goes on and what Country.  It has a heavy  solid metal handle. It measures 11 3/8" long overall and has a 6 1/2" inch blade. Blade is blued and double edge.  Handle is painted an OD green.  I see no markings on it.

Thank you, Capt. Case

unk bayo 1.jpg

unkbayo2.jpg

unk bayo butt.jpg

Thank you very much. I could not find it in any of my books probably because it was only experimental.  I will do some more research now that you have identified it for me. Thanks again!

Wow! Thank Bob,  who would have known. I stumbled upon it at a flea market over the weekend and liked the feel. Since I never saw one before I bought it.  Kudo's to member qed4 for knowing what it is.  

3 minutes ago, Capt.Case said:

Kudo's to member qed4 for knowing what it is

Yes - that's an obscure bit of information. I looked through worthpoint.com for sales of these, but could not find any, which is not surprising.

I found this which shows that there were only 200 of the guns produced, so maybe there were eveb fewer bayonets:

"This gun is the experimental Mk II trials pattern, of which around 200 were produced in 1942. It features a two-piece receiver - a fluted extension of which replaces the Sten-type barrel nut of the Mk I. It also has a bayonet lug and a unique combat-knife bayonet was created for use with it."

Great to know.  I wonder if the bayonet was made by the same maker as the gun. I see no markings on it.  Thanks for checking worthpoint.   Who could say about the value, I guess the person with the gun would really be the one to want it.

This is for the Austen Mk II which was produced too late for WWII service: it was adopted AND declared obsolete at the same time. It has the bayonet lug which the Mk I did not::

Screen Shot 2020-07-20 at 1.01.07 PM.png

Here's a video about the Austen SMG  - it's from the Royal Armouries National Firearms Centre collection but they don't have the bayonet.

Sure does look that way! Thank you Mikie.   Just need to find someone who owns the gun and wants the bayonet to go with it.

• 1 month later...

G.day Capt Case,

I know a military museum in Australia who would be very interested in the Austen bayonet if it is still available

• 7 months later...