Good Luck Flag?

63cagedfalcon

63cagedfalcon

I have just been offered this flag & only pic I have at the moment. Will post more when received.

Opinions please.f79af4b90c6891b4f596decf1832692c.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

The last time I tried to sell one on ebay they blocked it and displayed a page telling me how to return it to Japan  - 

63cagedfalcon

Getting harder to move things along.
I was talking to another forum member, asking price is on the high side so based on his referral I will be passing.

Thanks to all.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Fortunes Of War

It is difficult to place a value of any kind on this flag as the photograph only shows half of it.  There is no way of telling the condition on the other half, or what might be written there, so no reasonable value could be determined. 

Returning flags to Japan is an interesting proposal as many examples that end up in the hands of U.S. collectors today are actually coming from sellers in Japan.  The perception of this is a bit of an oxymoron.  Some Japanese members in government have attempted to pass legislation to ban the sale of good luck flags, etc. on public auction sites in Japan in an effort to thwart the continued sale of these war souvenirs.  As noted by Bob, groups in the U.S. have been more successful in having eBay, prevent some of these items from ever coming to auction.  Another item that I have not seen offered on eBay in quite some time are senninbari (small toy 1000 stitch belts for G.I. Joe collectors are sometimes offered.  I see that as another irony!)   Anyone who wants to send a flag back to Japan should be able to do so, however, it's very difficult to find an actual family member (they do sometimes locate the family).  If no family member is sourced, the flags are sometimes sent to a local shrine, if that can be identified; with no shrine or temple seal, that too is highly unlikely.  Otherwise, I'm not sure where these "returned" items go.  A movement has evolved over the last few years to place them into what are called, "peace" museums. 

Mike    

vintageproductions

Mike- The sad part is the ones that people try and return end up at the Public Health HQ. They have a room with flags just stuck in boxes that will never be returned to families just rotting away. When I did that second part of the NHK documentary on signed flags I got to see this room. It is really sad in that at least when collectors get them they are taken care of. In this building they are just there left to rot.

Fortunes Of War

Bob-

I forgot that you were shadowed in Part Two of NHK"s "documentary".  I recall seeing that segment of the special when they visited the Public Health office.  I remember too that the jist of the conversation was that they had no way of returning the flags to the family members because in most instances, there just wasn't enough information on the flag to source a relative.  I also noted, that no special climate control appeared to be in use and no proper acid free boxes, or paper were evident to separate the items.  Nothing was properly framed, or preserved with acid free backer board, or UV protected glass.  With less and less funding going to museums and with many of those closing for good, it often falls upon the collector to preserve these valuable historic artifacts.

Mike      

Fortunes Of War

Yep, that is what I remembered too.  If memory serves me, the boxes that you mentioned were just kept in metal wall lockers.  There did not appear to be any kind of conservation going on.

Mike