WW2 German helmets

Nolly1066

Hello,

I am a new member. Just wondering if anyone can help give details on two German helmets I have? Need some expert advice from someone on what exactly I have got and possible value.

Many thanks. More photos can be posted if useful. Just let me know.

20200722_123922.jpg

20200722_123806.jpg

Nolly,

I moved your helmet request to the TR Helmet section so you will get better exposure to your question.

Photos of the interior will be helpful.  The more the better to get a response.

Thanks Sarge,

How can I get round the 4.88MB max total for photos? Otherwise, can only upload 1 or two images only at a posting...??

Here is inside shot of second (camo painted) M42 (?) German helmet. Can anyone give me some info on it / what they think of this helmet (the one with FFI/Cross of Lorraine on it)?

Next post will include an image of inside of second M35/40(?) helmet.

Nolly.

P.S. They are both for sale but I will invite members to make an offer.....

20200722_124010.jpg

Forgot to mention, chine strap of this 'FFI' marked helmet has Nazi eagle/swastika stamp and the following 'G. Schielf. Loburg. 1940.'

Does anyone know any more about this??

Nolly

Jack the Collector

Nolly, here is a photo posting tutorial ......

If a member here can't help you I "know a guy"  I have invited him here recently hopefully he will join.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Hi can kadet give any  reason for declaring as fake ?

my guess is the size and shape of the ventilation rings.

its appears that not only Quist but NS produced m42  luftschutze  helmets with these oversized vent rings during wartime .

the confusion comes from IMA who acquired a lot from Finland and declared them all as M40/55

However there were at least 2 different types 

those with 3 liner pins and those with 4  

All had no maker marks or serial numbers hence grouped together as one item...... M40/55

All had leather headbands and linings which are unique to Finland.

ive cut and paste from their website

Item Description

Original Item: In another military antiques coup, IMA acquired the last of all the known WWII German helmet stocks from the government of Finland. A wonderful article was written about this find in the Magazine Military Trader which you can read at this link. These helmets are 100% genuine German manufactured WWII type M40 steel combat helmets that were produced by German WWII helmet manufacturer Hans Römer Fabrik from Neu-Ulm (Donau-Freiberg).

Supplied throughout WWII and then under special contract for the Finnish Army in 1955, hence, they have become known as the M40/55 helmet. However, these helmets were made in the same factory, on the same machines and by some of the very same people that produced them for Germany in WWII. They are nearly identical to WWII issue M40 helmets (and are often sold as such) with the classic rolled edge, correct steel thickness, and pressed ventilation holes. Furthermore, we have very good reason to believe that some of these shells are sanitized German WWII M35 and M40 helmets; meaning some are genuine WWII shells that had all stampings rubbed out and original paint removed to avoid the allied ban on West Germany selling war materiel after WW2.

Firstly Hans Romer Fabrik was a war time producer of military leather goods Not helmets !

That firm is clearly responsible for the leather liners of both types ( 3 and 4 pin).

However the M40/55 in my procession is clearly a Quist helmet with a smaller drilled  hole, or so i thought!

I  have since discovered  that NS produced m42 luftschuze helmet with the same large vent ring , and m42 helmets from Estonia have been dug up with these large vent rings 

M42 is very different from an M40.

That last sentence from IMA cracks me up !

Probably the most recognisable combat helmet in the world is the classic German helmet.

Just removing the  serial numbers or maker marks would somehow fool everyone ? !!!!!

More likely these Helmets were delivered to Finland in 1940 when it was at war with Russia

Germany at the time was and ally of the soviet union, but Hitler favoured the Finns ( as relied to Molotov at Berchtesgaden )

whilst many countries were openly supplying Finland with arms against the Russian aggressor, Germany was on tender diplomatic terms with Russia

so they could not be seen as openly supplying  arms to Finland 

Hungary was supplying German type helmets to Finland openly, so these could pass as Hungarian or some other country under licence.

No doubt all these were refitted in 1955 with new leather liners from Hans Romer Fabrik 

ill try post a few pictures of the m42 helmets

I note that the dark Hemet on show does have a serial number and maker mark ! 

The FFI M42  helmet, looks like it might be a standard  Quist helmet with Normandy camouflage.

I invite comments as I'm still researching

cheers