Not just a rock.....WW2 related.

Jack the Collector

Folks, I have collected rocks and and minerals longer than I have militaria. In that collection,I have one rock that I know the precise time it was formed.On July 16,1945 at 05:29:45 am MST this rock was formed.The most common name of it is Trinitite,however there are other names used for it such as Alamogordo glass and Atomsite.As you may have guessed this rock as formed by the 1st atomic bomb test.I acquired several specimens back in the 1960's from a gent who had a good bit of it he collected up before collecting was shut off in 1952.This material will make a Geiger counter tick however you get more radiation exposure going out in the sun.Trinitite has now decayed to less harmful elements(plutonium isotope) . So for those of you who may be inclined to own a specimen of Trinitite,and it is out there for sale,the cost should be no $20 a gram.Any more than that your paying too much.

I am showing 2 specimens I have top and bottom.

DSC_0051[1].jpg

Jack the Collector
6 hours ago, Scarecrow said:

Now Jack that is cool!  Is the composition predominately sand fused together by the atomic blast?

Yes,at the moment of explosion, the ground was likely pushed down initially, then rebounded, forcing material into the fireball. The ground was vaporized before eventually raining down in the form of trinitite droplets. 

While most trinitite is light green due to iron that was present in the sand, other samples contain some of the iron from the tower on which the “Gadget” was detonated, and those look black. Yet other slightly red samples contain copper from the electrical wire used in the experiment.

Proud Kraut

A real piece of history, thanks for sharing!

Jack the Collector
1 hour ago, Proud Kraut said:

A real piece of history, thanks for sharing!

Thanks, I forgot to mention yesterday that since it was the anniversary of the Hiroshima bombing I  decided to post it here.