Sword ID Request

Dirk

A bit of a jog into Imperial for me....trying to ID the Sword this man is carrying and ultimately his unit. Listed as a member of the Asiatic Expeditionary Corps and in pencil noted he is a Jager Zu Pferde, 1900-02. Sword looks to be an artillery model, vice one for the mounted squadrons....btw the saber knot was added in pencil at some point.

IMG_9200.JPG

Hi Dirk,

You are correct that the sword this fellow is wearing is the preussische Artilleriesabel.  These item of issue iron hilt P guard sabers were issued to all kinds of secondary foot and mounted troops through the time of the Weimar Republic and NS Zeit.  They were also issued to mounted units of the Police from 1918-1945 and here is one that was issued to the Polizeiwehr Bayern (Bavarian Mounted Police) circa 1921.  While the style of his boots and spurs indicates this fellow is mounted a Jaeger zu Pferde unit is likely correct.  Of course it is also possible that the sword is a photographic studio prop and does not belong to the soldier.  I don't think the sword will narrow down the specific unit I am afraid.  

I hope this helps.

Pol Sabel hilt.JPG

Pol Sabel blade.JPG

Pol Sabel guard.JPG

Pol Sabel PwB.JPG

Sarge I knew you would come through! A big thanks!! That fact that a artillery saber could end up in the hands of a Jager Zu is encouraging. I know the straw hat was worn only briefly by the Ost Asian Expeditionary Force before they switched hear gear in 1902 narrows it down for me.