Robin Hood Formation Signs Patches

Was reminded of the Formation Sign for the North Midland District by member Gunslinger in his topic on Formation Signs in this Forum, a patch I seen in that 1970s  Rosignoli book on Post WWII Insignia of the world, a patch I always thought was cool, and looked around for images of it and found these variants of it, Print, Embroidered etc, so here they are for your viewing pleasure.

79987gfgjhgkg683715721.jpg

inex.jpg

f07f0711a781c2.jpg

Thanks for posting! I have never seen this patch before . . .but I love it! Robin Hood being a favorite . . . I really enjoyed this! Very cool to see the different types, too. About how big are these patches?

7 hours ago, stratasfan said:

Thanks for posting! I have never seen this patch before . . .but I love it! Robin Hood being a favorite . . . I really enjoyed this! Very cool to see the different types, too. About how big are these patches?

They're all basically your average size like American patches,  though there of course will be maker size differences, especially with the hand embroidered ones, but not overly small or oversized,. I think the only one that was uniformally small was the Guards Armored Division's All Seeing Eye Formation Sign.

The Square ones size say comparable to the WWII American 2nd Service Command patch

s-m0.jpg

Here is some info about the UK Territory District

North Midland District (Northern Command)

The figure of Robin Hood on green background was the appropriate badge of North Midland District, which included Sherwood Forest within its boundaries, the HQ was based in Nottinghamshire and the county regiment was the Sherwood Foresters. The badge remained in use after WW2.

Northern Command Training Centres:

Between 1941 and 1943, each regional command of the British Army formed at-least one training centre which trained those recruits preparing to move overseas. The centres which were based in the area were:

Lincolnshire Infantry Training Centre, Sobraon Barracks, became No. 7 Training Centre on 14 August 1941 — affiliated with Royal Lincolnshire Regiment, Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Regiment (Sherwood Foresters), and York and Lancaster Regiment

From 4 July 1941 included No. 57 Physical Training Wing

The best reference about British FS is Formation Badges of World War 2 by Lt Colonel Howard Cole

CDub

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/2/2020 at 3:28 PM, stratasfan said:

807260809_emoticonsmile.png.62c90f79f50fe117eb167f186163c87b.png  Always will be my favorite Robin Hood 807260809_emoticonsmile.png.62c90f79f50fe117eb167f186163c87b.png.

ca-ti.jpg

Hey, haven gotten this series of books on British Cap Badges a two volume set WWI and WWII a few years back, we noticed there was an infantry unit named after Robin Hood, The Robin Hood Rifles, a Territorial Infantry Unit, British Territorials for those not knowing are basically the British equivalent are reserves and national guard .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robin_Hood_Battalion#Post-War

Thanks for continuing to post! I really enjoy this thread! That display case is amazing! Is that a temp display or at a museum? 

12 hours ago, patches said:

807260809_emoticonsmile.png.62c90f79f50fe117eb167f186163c87b.png  Always will be my favorite Robin Hood 807260809_emoticonsmile.png.62c90f79f50fe117eb167f186163c87b.png.

ca-ti.jpg

He is amazing! And a handsome Robin Hood! Love this movie! It is the best. Although, right up there with it is the 50s British TV show with Richard Greene. We watch that all the time, too! 

• 1 month later...

Found another view of the items on display, quite handsome uniforms and helmets what!

I.m imagining these are at either two places, either a official military museum, or on display at the unit's old drill hall in Nottingham.,

5397fc.jpg

• 2 months later...

Their Color, a drawing of it, from when the unit was first formed in 1859 till whenever, no doubt for the remainder of the 19th Century possibly into the 20th till such a time the unit got a new stand of colors, if and when they got a new stand.

flag0002.jpg

• 3 months later...