The Arbeitsdienst Sleeve Shield

Gwar

The Reichsarbeitsdienst Diesnststellenabzeichen (Sleeve Shield), we've all seen these in photos and we might even have one in our collection, so, what does it mean and how can we decipher it's relationship with the RAD ?

2-305.jpg

rad shield 2-305 XXX Bayern-Hochland - Copy (2).jpg

The RAD was organized into Arbeitsgau or Divisional Districts, each being numbered with a Roman numeral between I and XXXX (1 and 40) by the end of the war. An Arbeitsgau was headed by a German officer with a staff, HQ, and a Wachabteilung (Guard Company)numbered according to the Arbeitsgau it was located in. Around 8 battalion-sized units are known as Arbeitsgruppen consisting of 1,200 to 1,800 men each were also grouped under each Arbeitsgau. Several Arbeitsgruppen could be grouped together with a regimental-sized unit known as a Bereich, while an Arbeitsgruppe itself consisted of six company-sized formations known as Abteilungen.
I have provided a list and illustration of the Arbeitsgau, the map is a earlier version bit will work for this thread.

gaue.jpg

I  Ostpreussen  10-17,19  

II  Danzig-Westpreussen  20,20A,21-29

III  Wartheland-West  30-39

IV  Pommern-Ost  40-47

V  Pommern-West  50-55

VI  Mecklenburg  60-64,67  

VII  Schleswig-Holstein  70,71,73-77

VIII  Brandenburg-Ost  80-87

IX  Brandenburg-West  90-96 

X  Niederschlesien 100-107

XI  Mittelschlesien  110-116,119

XII  Oberschlesien  120-127 

XIII  Magdeburg-Anhalt  130-138 

XIV  Halle-Merseburg  140-145 

XV  Sachsen  150-157

XVI  Westfalen-Nord  160-165 

XVII  Niedersachsen-Mitte  170-177

XVIII  Niedersachsen-Ost  180-188

XIX  Niedersachsen-West (Oldenburg)  190-198

XX  Westfalen-Süd  200-209

XXI  Niederrhein  210-217

XXII  Hessen-Nord  220-227

XXIII  Thüringen  230-238

XXIV  Moselland (Mittelrhein)  240-249

XXV  Hessen-Süd  250-258

XXVI  Württemberg  260-267

XXVII  Baden  270-279

XXVIII  Franken  280-288

XXIX  Bayreuth (Bayrischer Ostmark)  290-298

XXX  Bayern-Hochland  300-306

XXXI  Oberrhein  310-319

XXXII  Saar-Pfalz (Westmark)  320-329

XXXIII  Alpenland  330-335

XXXIV  Oberdonau  340-348

XXXV  Wien-Niederdonau  350-356

XXXVI  Südmark  360-368

XXXVII  Sudetenland-West  370-376

XXXVIII  Böhmen-Mähren (Sudetenland-Ost)  380-386

XXXIX  Süd Ostpreussen  390-393

XXXX  Wartheland-Ost  400-405,408,500,501

The RAD Abteilung was based at a specific camp location from which its members would train, drill, practice, and take part in the various labor projects their unit was assigned to. Each camp and its Abteilung was given a number designation listed along with its higher Arbeitsgruppen number. These two numbers were often displayed together on the ubiquitous RAD Dienststellenabzeichen -an arm badge in the shape of a white downward pointing shovel blade, on a black backgroubd, with red numerals worn on the upper left shoulder of all uniforms and greatcoats worn by all personnel. A RAD Abteilungen consisted of 214 men grouped together in a six-man staff and four platoon-sized units called Züge, each of 69 men. Each Zügewas, in turn, made up of three 17-man section-sized units known as Trupps. The “front-line” rank and file members who made up the bulk of the RAD workforce was armed with spades and transported by bicycles.

Screenshot (1855).png

When one looks at the shield you will see various numbers above another set of digits or number.. The first two are the GAU I had mentioned earlier, in this case it is 30, so Arbeitsgau XXX (30) is Bayern-Hochland.

rad shield 2-305 XXX Bayern-Hochland.jpg

When we have this information it becomes RAD 2/305, some prefer to say 305/2 but that is not the proper way. With this new outlook we may be able to track down the location, most Arbeitsdienstlagers had a Ehrennamen (Honor Name)  that is used after the abt. location, some did not or they are lost to time.

If you follow this link it has a list of the RAD Anteilung by GAU, and Abt., A word of caution, the list is outdated and lacks some pertinent information, also, the groups of Men and Women RAD / RADwJ groups are sometimes piled together in the same area of the list, only use male for male and female for female, the female designation is RADwJ or (Reichsarbeitsdienst der weiblichen Jugend) here is the link

forum.balsi.de/index.php/topic,2060.0.html

I use / incorporate a private list and photo archives that have been compiled from many years of research on the behalf of my colleagues, myself and a few groups I moderate, I cannot at this time divulge the entire list, but , if the need arises I can assist with certain information if needed, you can PM me or just ask on this thread.. I have also enclosed a revised map with the Gau and Abt. numbers for reference, I hope I wasn't too hasty in the explanation in this thread, if there any questions feel free to ask, we'll see what we can come up with.

new.jpg

Labor Organizations of the Third Reich has A LOT of errors... Trust me , I know one of the advisors that helped them, there were more concerned with publishing than to have factual content..

Jack the Collector
40 minutes ago, Gwar said:

Labor Organizations of the Third Reich has A LOT of errors... Trust me , I know one of the advisors that helped them, there were more concerned with publishing than to have factual content..

As is the case with all of Angolia's books but its about all we have in english print.

Jack the Collector

Thanks Gwar,however I have 90% of all Bender published reference books.The fact is my forte is DRB,HJ/BDM and DRK which is where the bulk of the money I have to spend on any language reference books goes.In cases like this it is better to discuss with an informed collector like yourself and get the facts.

• 9 months later...