WWII China War Memorial Medal question

Digi-Shots

This medal came with a small named grouping that belonged to a WWII AAF pilot that served in the CBI.  He piloted C46’s in Chabua, India, ATC 1333rd AAFBU.  

As you can see in the photo, it is numbered (looks like a low number?). The veteran’s name was Pittman. I have seen some medal cases that appeared to be leather.  The case this medal came in is a 2 piece plastic case that is also numbered.

Are there any records that show a listing of those that were awarded this medal or units that received them?

Were all CBI veterans awarded this medal?

Thanks... anything else you can add will be appreciated!

51A8A132-D29B-4423-9D7B-1A0DA46A6D20.jpeg

E30D91DC-4D4F-4201-9DC0-D8F75F138AEF.jpeg

5F84310E-66EF-4587-B0B6-150B79962A65.jpeg

From what I remember reading a while back, veterans had to request the medal through the ROC (not communist China) embassy. There were three versions that I know of. I have all three versions. Just to mention, there were two types of the pre-1949 version, I am not sure if any were awarded to US service members. There was a higher rank larger one that was awarded to a few US service members I think.

The most common is a red/silver foil box with foam padding and the medal was attached to a card with ribbon bar. I believe the foil covered box was the first version. I have one that came with the official ROC letter signed by the ambassador to China in 1975.

The next two I don't know which came next, I would guess the plastic box like yours. I assume the "leather" box came out last. This one has a really shiny polished medal, as the others came in dark copper. 

I don't know if the records are still kept somewhere of who was awarded the medals based on serial numbers.

Your welcome!

I just realized and didn't re-read my post earlier, but just to clarify myself, there are three box variations to the 1960s/70s awards. I can't remember if they were made by the same manufacturer on Taiwan. And to add, there are two serial number font variations that I know of so far.

There are two pre-1949 variations in the ribbon styles (both used cloth bags, not boxes). I think the 2nd variation was used to make the 1970s types.. but I don't think I have pictures saved.

I’m guessing that the one I have is from the 60’s/70’s and was probably sent to the Basha in Tampa Bay, Florida for the local members there.  They might have requested the medals for the whole membership group at one time.  The other name on the back of the box is his wife.

I happened to see one of these medals in the red/silver foil box on eBay just the other day... they were asking quite a bit for it but so far, no bidders/buyers.