My Great Grandfather WW1 Veteran.

WW1

My great grandfather Costantini Gaetano born December 27h, 1898 grew up in Montesilvano Italy. On February 26th, 1917 in the city of Barack Sant Angelo (Parma District) my grandfather enlisted in the italian army to serve his country in the great war. What he didn't know was the amount of combat he would see in such a short time span. He was assigned to the 52nd infantry regiment, after a battle in which the regiment took heavy casualties he was moved to the 247th infantry regiment. After another massive battle where the 247th lost 3,300 men in the month of may alone he was moved to the 74th infantry regiment. This would be the last regiment he would see action in. Shortly before the armistice he was moved to the 17th infantry regiment and would be discharged with honor. 

My grandmother who is now 90 can only recall a few stories that my grandfather told her. For all the action he saw he was a fun, happy, and loving man for the rest of his life. 

If anyone here knows any history on the 52nd, 247th, 74th, or 17th regiment that would be greatly appreciated. A friend of mine Werter Spoglianti helped give me some good information on these regiments already, however any and all information is greatly appreciated! Sadly, no one in my family has any items from his service in the military. Shortly after the war my grandfather immigrated to the US and sought after the American dream. With hard work he was able to get that a dream that he desired, he died a happy man in 1966 at the age of 68. 

The only stories my grandmother can recall is when he told her about the time that he and his "Platoon" were stuck in the middle of a field. The germans had them pinned down and they had to jump from hay bail pile to hay bail pile to make it to the tree line and escape. He also noted the cow poop piles were necessary to jump into in order to live. He told my grandmother that he lost a lot of his close friends that day. `

My grandmother also recalls in 1938-1939 when the US was selling massive quantities of steel to japan that it was going to come back in bullets. 

I have attached the only documents that my family has of his military service, if anyone notices something please don't hesitate to point it out. Any information on the infantry regiments would be super helpful. Thank you and take care. 

unnamed.jpg

unnamed-1.jpg

unnamed-2.jpg

unnamed-3.jpg