MEXICAN(?) ADRIAN HELMET

BEAST

I saw this at an antique mall today and the badges didn’t look correct to me. Is this even a Mexican Adrian or did someone just stick some extra insignia into the holes?

F8376568-E58E-4A88-8D8B-ADC417918335.jpeg.0f9c292b94145d8f2f7f9bb1492eb3b7.jpeg

vostoktrading

There's not much in the way of reference for Mexican stuff.

In my opinion it could be ok.

The insignia is different from the one I have (shown in a different thread) but that doesn't mean they didn't have different ways to badge-up over the years.

Does the gold eagle & snake badge bend or conform with the helmet like you would expect or is it flat? If it's possible to take it off without too much fuss does it look like it's been on there a long time? The motive for humping-up a Mexican Adrian is low compared to TR or US helmets.

• 2 weeks later...
vostoktrading

Saw the news about this former defense chief of Mexico involved with the cartels.

I noticed his cap has the cockade and gold eagle with a serpent.

Perhaps the helmet is an officer's?

salvador-cienfuegos.jpeg

On 10/17/2020 at 8:33 PM, vostoktrading said:

Saw the news about this former defense chief of Mexico involved with the cartels.

I noticed his cap has the cockade and gold eagle with a serpent.

Perhaps the helmet is an officer's?

salvador-cienfuegos.jpeg

Good thought.

• 1 year later...
Helmet man

I recently joined this forum, however, I have a very strong opinion of the Mexican Adrian helmet photographed by "BEAST" in October, 2020.   I am convinced that it is NOT CORRECT!   I am 99.999% sure that it is not correct.  Furthermore, "irish" stated that "the helmet is worn however the badges appear in quite good shape."  I strongly believe that the weathered Adrian probably came from a Mexican surplus dealer who stored the helmet outside under the weather for many years.   Subsequently, the helmet ended up at the Mexico City Sunday Market where the roundel and Mexican Eagle insignia were applied.  BOTH the roundel and the eagle insignia have a screw back and were NOT APPLIED TO THE TWO HORIZONTAL SLITS in the Adrian.  I have examined several thousand Mexican Adrian helmets and I have never seen one with these screw back insignia.  The plastic roundel had a screw back and was used after the Adrian helmet was removed from service.   One post stated that there is very little written about Mexican helmets.  However, there is a good reference about Mexican helmets in the French book, LES CASQUES DE COMBAT, de monde entier de 1915 a' nos jours.  There is a chapter about Mexican Combat helmets in Volume 3, pages 251- 260.  The chapter is written by Keith R. Jamieson and is well illustrated.  As noted above, I have examined several THOUSAND Mexican Adrian helmets.  I have more than 30-40 Mexican helmets in my collection.  I have a Maximillian Guard helmet, several different spiked helmets, one of Pancho Villas' tropical helmets, and numerous Adrian helmets.    I also have a variety of more modern Mexican helmets, roundels, nets and camo covers. I hope this information is useful.  Thank you, KRJ, Helmet man. 

Welcome to the forum Helmet man.  Discussion of items like this help us all learn.  Thank you for your specific criticisms and your book recommendation and citation.  This is the way to criticize material culture artifacts rather than just say it is no good without pointing out why.

Helmet man

Sarge:  Thank you for your kind comments about my post.   After reading your comments, I went back to the photograph of the helmet posted by Beast.   For some reason, I finally realized that the comb was originally painted reddish brown!   This is very significant and confirms that the Adrian was indeed used in Mexico.  Mexican officers had a comb painted red brown.  This unusual feature would confirm that the helmet was used in Mexico by an officer!   An officer would still have the appropriate round badge in front.  It should be noted that officers and other ranks had the same round badge.  Since the badges were identical, the officer's comb was painted a reddish brown.  Thank you.  Helmet man

Jack the Collector
On 5/17/2022 at 6:28 PM, Helmet man said:

one of Pancho Villas' tropical helmets

I echo what Sarge said,also if you have some time could you show us the tropical helmet?

• 2 weeks later...
Helmet man

To BEAST:  I believe we can make your Mexican Adrian helmet correct.   I had a Mexican Adrian officer's helmet in almost the same condition as your helmet.  It was heavily weathered and had a brown painted comb.  It had an original brass cavalry front plate.   Unfortunately, this helmet was charred in a house fire several years ago.   I lost over 600 hundred helmets, including combat helmets, flight helmets and spiked helmets.  In the ashes I found the cavalry badge and saved it.  The solder holding the prongs melted and plastic (bubble wrap or bags) were melted to the front plate.   You could remove the plastic, clean the plate and solder new prongs to the back.  I believe that this plate would make your helmet correct.  You can have the front plate as a free gift.  I have only one condition.  As a gift, you cannot trade or sell the plate!   It will enhance the value of your helmet.  I would like this plate to go to you as your helmet is essentially identical to the one that I lost and it needs a good home.   How do i send this helmet plate to you?  It seems to be a good offer.   How do I send it to you?  Thank you.  Helmet man    

• 5 months later...

To Beast:  Last May, I offered you a FREE Mexican cavalry helmet plate to place on your Mexican Adrian helmet.  However, I never received a reply.  If, you are interested, please let me know.  A local collector would like the plate but it was already offered to you....  I am still waiting on your reply.   Helmet man