Self Propelled Howitzer Sd.Kfz 135/1 - 1/35 Scale

Proud Kraut

This kit was on my bucket list for a long time. This week it finally arrived. It´s a model of one of the very early German WW II self propelled artillery systems. In this case a 15cm heavy field howitzer was mounted on a captured French Lorraine vehicle. I think only 90 of these howitzers were produced. They saw action in Russia and Africa. I have to do some more research concerning that.

The kit was made by "PANDA". The sprues look excellent so far. This will be my first model with metal tracks. Here´s the box:

135_1.jpg

On 10/19/2020 at 2:42 PM, Proud Kraut said:

Thanks Manny & Rich!

@Manny: are we working on a similar project?😁

LOL; no Lars we're not working on the same project per se, but I've started work on an 8inch (203mm) M110 self-propelled howitzer with a diorama base from Verlinden in Vietnam service. I'll be posting it up soon.

Semper Fi.

Manny

Artillery - SEHR GUT!

In the 80´s these Verlinden diorama booklets were our ne plus ultra modeling literature. I remember several Artillery dios including a M107 one called "Big Shot" and a M109 in sandbag gun position, both VN related. Can´t wait to see your´s soon now that you have finished the F-105.

I've seen that M109 sandbag gun position diorama. It was very well done. I have that one and was thinking of using it but the M110's used a different type of gun emplacement which I have and believe I can also use. I'll be keeping an eye on your SP howitzer. Good luck.

Semper Fi.

Manny

Hey Lars, I just wanted to show you the base that I have for my next project. I'll be starting a new post on the WMF soon.

Semper Fi.

Manny

resized_20201022_235309.jpg

resized_20201022_235323.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

It´s gonna be a LONG time project. After completing the chassis I started to build the metal tracks. Each consits of 107 tiny track links and 53 tinier pins. Horrible!

01.jpg

Oh my God! Are the metal tracks AM Fruilmodel tracks or did they come with the kit? 

Well I know they'll come out great.

Semper Fi.

Manny

On 11/2/2020 at 11:36 AM, Proud Kraut said:

It´s gonna be a LONG time project. After completing the chassis I started to build the metal tracks. Each consits of 107 tiny track links and 53 tinier pins. Horrible!

01.jpg

My poor old arthritic fingers are crying just thinking of that!  

Good luck with that.  Repetitive work like that can be very zen like and meditative.  Or, it can get thrown at the wall.  I’ll look forward to seeing your progress.

6 hours ago, Old Marine said:

Good luck with that.  Repetitive work like that can be very zen like and meditative.  Or, it can get thrown at the wall.  I’ll look forward to seeing your progress.

701417991_emoticonlaugh.png.01922f470decc7bd4bba8f6fcde5f3cb.png "very zen like and meditative" 701417991_emoticonlaugh.png.01922f470decc7bd4bba8f6fcde5f3cb.png

I like that description.

Thanks for your comments guys, I appreciate it! Well I was about to choose the "wall option" but since we have another partial Corona lockdown over here I have to exercise patience. It took some time to find out how to work with that metal track links. Step 1: mounting the links on the plastic tool. Step 2: Pressing the links together very carefully with a small pair of pliers. Step 3: Cleaning and opening the link slots with a needle. Step 4: Connecting the track links very carefully with the pin. And yes, there are 107 track links and 106 pins per track. It took me about two hours to complete the first track.

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

Great work Lars.  I am glad you chose the meditative path.  For model builders, all these virus shutdowns give us a great, guilt free excuse to spend time working on models.   

Well, we all have noticed the trend to make models more and more detailed. I think this one here is taking the cake. Please have a look at a 12 cm long model´s chassis consisting of 491 parts, lol. Tracks completed!

06.jpg

Well those tracks came out very nice. Patience my friend; be safe and you'll have all the time in the world. Great job!

Semper Fi.

Manny

Thanks very much for your feedback, friends! Work on the body of the Self Propelled Howitzer has begun. Searching a crew for the gun I came across this Tamiya Afrika Korps gunner set. I had to get me one of course.

08.jpg

09.jpg

I have to admit that you are a lucky guy Lars. Finding the DAK Artillery Crew is awesome. Unless I find a Vietnam era arty crew I will be like Dennis; kitbashing the WWII crew that I purchased and I'm still waiting on it.😀 I'm glad that you got it. This looks like its going to be another nice build.

Semper Fi.

Manny