WWII Japanese Emperor Appointed Officers Sword

usmc8287

Good evening all - 

I am looking at purchasing what I believe is a WWII Emperor Appointed Officers Sword. I have a Samurai and Katana in my collection, but this is the first type of sword that I have encountered. The sword is approximately 33" long, with an etched bladed and gold and nickel and\or stainless scabbard. It is a war bring back from a USMC veteran and was acquired during one of the major Pacific battles. I am looking for any information on the item, and its ballpark value. The seller is asking $1400. 

Thanks for any information you can provide. 

Stay well, and good hunting, 

USMC8287  

Japanese Sword 1.jpg

Japanese Sword 2.jpg

Japanese Sword 3.jpg

Japanese Sword 4.jpg

Japanese Sword 5.jpg

Japanese Sword 6.jpg

Japanese Sword 7.jpg

Japanese Sword 8.jpg

Japanese Sword 9.jpg

Japanese Sword 10.jpg

Japanese Sword 11.jpg

Japanese Sword 12.jpg

The sword you show is not a military sword but a Japanese Court sword.  While the military had their own version of the court sword to be worn while attending court this is the Meiji 19 (1886) version of the full dress version of the sword worn at court by Officials and Politicians (not Military Officers).  I think this is the chokunin-kan rank sword but I am not certain.  

At any rate, there does not appear to be any gilt left on the sword and there are spots on the blade so his asking price is in the ballpark but a bit high IMHO.  I see these rather obscure swords sell slowly if overpriced.  I hope this is helpful.

SARGE,

You response was EXACTLY what I was looking for. Great identification, with a brief history lesson woven in, and a general value. So in summary extremely helpful and appreciated. 

Stay well, and again thanks!