Book Release- Battle Carried: Imperial Japanese Tiger Art Good Luck Flags of World War Two

Fortunes Of War

Fortunes Of War

I am pleased to note that John-Adams Graf, publisher of the Military Trader, has posted this recent review of my book, Battle Carried: Imperial Japanese Tiger Art Good Luck Flags of World War Two.  I am grateful to John for his in depth review of the book, and for everything that he does in promoting our hobby.

Michael Bortner

https://www.militarytrader.com/militaria-collecting-101/book-review-battle-carried

This is a great review which I totally agree with. I’m taking my time going through my copy and although only a bit of the way into it I have seen the value of being able to focus on this particular aspect of these flags, allowing it to build on the more broad (but still very informative) information provided by your first book.

Congratulations 👏🏻.

Fortunes Of War

Hello Michael-

Thank you for the positive comments on the book.  Hopefully after reading the book, no one will look at Asian tiger iconography through the same lens.  There is certainly more to the subject than meets the eye.  

• 2 months later...
Fortunes Of War

I wanted to announce that my book Battle Carried: Imperial Japanese Tiger Art Good Luck Flags of World War Two, has been named a Finalist in the 2021 International Book Awards under the History-Military category.  I was pleased to see a militaria collector's book receive the recognition.  My thanks to everyone who has purchased the book and also to those who have written to me with their encouraging comments and feedback.  Regards,

IMG_0156 (2).JPG

International Book Award Finalist Image (2).jpg

Fortunes Of War

I was notified yesterday that Battle Carried: Imperial Japanese Tiger Art Good Luck Flags of World War Two was chosen by the 2021 International Impact Book Awards committee as a winner in its Antiques and Collectibles category and in the Academic and Education category.  Continued thanks to those who have supported me through this entire process!  (While the name of the award is similar to the earlier noted one listed above, it is a completely separate award.)

Transparent Background Seal.png

• 3 months later...

I just ran across this Mr Bortner. I will be ordering a copy of this book. I am learning a little bit about the tiger art good luck flags. I will be very interested to read your book. I have been told that their is a lot of fakes on flags with tiger art because they are highly sought after is that correct? 

Fortunes Of War

JJS80-

Yes, unfortunately that is true; there are quite a few fake tiger flags out there.  Most, but not all of them were made at about the same time by a fellow who got his ideas from art books on drawing-painting tiger images.  He actually practiced ahead of time, drawing and painting the various tigers that he planned to transfer to Japanese flags.  In some instances, he painted on newer flags, but in other cases, he purchased old Japanese national flags and doctored them with art.  I have also seen examples where he "infilled" nice, vintage flags with his fake tiger art.  The images have spilled over into other items of Japanese militaria as well, particularly towels (tenugui) and cloth good luck charms (mamori). 

Let me know if you want a book and I can autograph it for you before mailing.     

• 1 year later...
Fortunes Of War

I wanted to let you know that the book, Battle Carried: Imperial Japanese Tiger Art Good Luck Flags was recently reviewed by Nishiura Kasutaka of the Japanese Vexillological Association.  This Japanese flag organization is made up of flag academics, enthusiasts and historians.  His review was published in the North American Vexillological Association's September issue of the publication, Vexillum.  I want to thank the NAVA and Nishiura Kasutaka for their comments.

IMG_1171 (2).JPG

IMG_1173 (2).JPG