Book Release- Battle Carried: Imperial Japanese Tiger Art Good Luck Flags of World War Two

Fortunes Of War

Fortunes Of War

I wanted to give everyone a brief update on the release of my latest book, Battle Carried: Imperial Japanese Tiger Art Good Luck Flags of World War Two.  The book is being handled by Elm Grove Publishing of San Antonio, TX.  The publisher, Mick Prodger, has himself written at least 5 books on various militaria and military subjects: flight helmets, Luftwaffe and RAF flight gear, and others. 

I heard yesterday that the edited copy is being readied for the printer.  There are approximately 210 illustrations within the book's 196 pages.  This first print will be used to determine the accuracy of the mostly full color images.  Once that has been evaluated and everything appears good, the book will go to press and then release.  I'm still hoping that the release date will be sometime around Christmas, but that is probably not likely.  In the meantime, if anyone has any questions regarding the book or its content, please feel free to ask away here.

Regards,

Mike    

Fortunes Of War

I forgot earlier to include a copy of the book cover art; here it is..........

Regards,

Mike

IMG_5705 (3).JPG

Fortunes Of War

Bob-

You and me both!  By the way, did you recognize the tiger on the back cover.....?

Mike

Fortunes Of War

Bob-

I was fortunate to have a number of collectors offer to let me photograph their tiger art good luck flags for the book.  The flag that is pictured on the reverse cover shows a full color painted tiger head.  Along with that example, you were kind enough to let me photograph 2 or 3 others in your collection.  ...And before I take all of the credit, it was actually John Egger who photographed your flags for me.  I was unable to attend your West Coast Show, where you brought the flags.  John was kind enough to shoot some very good images and then forward them to me. 

The book will offer an amazing collection of approximately 60+ tiger painted and tiger related flags as well as tiger painted cloth good luck amulets.  The chapters are divided into categories based upon how the tigers are posed.  Most importantly, it covers in detail the significance of the tiger in Japanese culture, particularly as it relates to good health, good luck, and protection.  All of that is wrapped into the context of the Japanese military and its fighting forces.    When released, the book will be in an 8.5" X 11." hardcover format and Standard Editions will sell for $69.99

If anyone has any specific questions, please feel free to let me know.

Mike  

• 4 weeks later...
Fortunes Of War

For those who are wondering what a tiger illustrated good luck flag looks like, here is an example.  I am grateful to Vintage Productions-Bob Chatt for allowing me to use this fine example in my upcoming book, Battle Carried: Imperial Japanese Tiger Art Good Luck Flags of World War Two.  It will be listed in Chapter Six: Tiger Head Portraits.  The description follows the illustration... 

Chapter 6 6.20.jpg

Chapter 6 6.22.jpg

Fortunes Of War

This Imperial Japanese good luck signed flag is made from a slightly darkened white silk.  The hoist and fly side edges have the usual hem stitching to provide strength, while the silver paper foil corner tabs, with tie strings remain in place.  The deep red colored sun was silk screen pressed onto the field's white background.

On the flag's right-hand side appear 3 large vertical lines of bold kanji characters.  The example nearest to the hoist side edge say, Hichisei Hokoku or “Seven Lives In Devotion To The Country”.  The center line of ideograms spells out the name of the jinja where the flag was ink stamped, and blessed; they say, Minatogawa Jinja.  Directly above that line are 2 partially faded red ink stamps for the Minatogawa Shrine: a square seal below the kikusui no mon (half chrysanthemum floating upon river).  The third vertical line of characters nearer to the sun's edge are for the name of the flag's recipient.  The line of kanji reads, Tame Ishimizu Masaru Kun or “For Mr. Ishimizu Masaru”.

Positioned directly in front of the painted tiger image are 2 medium sized lines of ideograms that fan out, and away from the sun in typical yosegaki-style.  Those lines read, Jinchu Hokoku or “Seven Lives In Devotion To The Country”, and then the name of a relative, Ishimizu Ichinosuke who probably placed the slogan on the flag as well. 

The large tiger head painted upon the upper left-hand side of the flag was done in shades of black, gray, white, red, pink, brown, and orange.  The artist's brush captured the animal with its focused eyes narrowed, ears back, and snarling mouth open.  

The well known print artist Yoshida Toshi (1911-1995), executed this profile of a tiger's head (see accompanying woodblock print illustration, ca. 1926),  with noticeable similarities to the previous version captured sometime later by an anonymous good luck flag artist.

Interestingly, the two tiger portraits, one with mouth open, and the other with mouth closed exemplify the “O-”, and “-m” of the sacred mantra sound (Om or Aum), embraced by a number of religions, and religious philosophies, including Buddhism.

MikeB

Chapter 6 6.21.jpg

Fortunes Of War

Bob-

It's a beautiful flag, with incredible colors and life-like details; thank you again.  I'm happy that John was able to capture such a good photograph of it for me.  If time permits, I'll begin to share additional examples from the book, on this thread.

Mike

Fortunes Of War

I forgot to point out again, that Bob's flag was used as the primary illustration on the rear cover art.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
Fortunes Of War

Here is another incredible tiger art good luck flag that will be featured in my book, Battle Carried: Imperial Japanese Tiger Art Good Luck Flags of World War Two.  The flag is found in Chapter Eleven-The Empire's Victorious Tigers.  I would like to thank Vintage Productions-Bob Chatt for graciously offering me the use of this rare flag.  As in the previous good luck flag example, this image was taken at Bob's West Coat Militaria Show by John Egger.   Please see illustrations and description below:

Painted upon a fine white silk material, this lifelike tiger, seen in shades of black, gray, white, red, pink, and white, may be seen running out from behind the red sun in the center of the age-toned field.  Both gold foil tabs are present in the right-hand corners, and each has their tie strings present.  The hoist, and fly side edges of the flag were re-enforced with added stitches for strength.  It appears as though a portion of the fly-side edge was torn when the fabric became tangled on something.  The orange-red center sun was screened onto the flag's background.  Overall, this flag is in very nice condition.

On the right-hand side near the 2-3 o'clock positions, the 2 largest vertical lines of kanji begin with the slogan, Nettoo Buun Chokyu or “Deep Prayers That Your Military Fortunes Will Be Long Lasting”.  Just to the left of that, the flag is identified to its recipient, Homma Masao.  Immediately to the left of that are 2 smaller vertical lines of ideograms, one of them positioned above 2 red, square seals.  The first line on the right says, Ki Buun Chokyu, or “I Pray Your Military Fortunes Are Long Lasting.  The line directly above the seals, and the stamps themselves are too difficult to read.

The line of 5 kanji characters written horizontally across the top of the flag say, Banri Oorai which means, “Deep Prayers” in English.  The smaller vertical lines written all across the bottom of the flag are the names well-wishers, except for a single line that says, “Patriotism With Love”.

Chapter Eleven: The Empire's Victorious Tigers Flag measures: 26.50” X 38.00” (67.31cm X 96.52cm)- Flag Courtesy of Vintage Productions-Bob Chatt

Chapter 11 11.23.jpg

Chapter 11 11.24.jpg

vintageproductions

You know it's one of those things you forget what you have.

When I saw this post this morning, I thought man that's a killer flag. It wasn't until I read Mike's post that I realized it was mine.

• 2 months later...
Fortunes Of War

Greetings!

I am pleased to announce that I have a release date for my book, Battle Carried: Imperial Japanese Tiger Art Good Luck Flags of World War Two.  Elm Grove Publishing informed me that March 30th will be the pre-release date for the book.  After that, April 30th will be the release to the general public on all of the standard sites: Barnes and Noble, Amazon, etc.

Anyone interested in purchasing a copy will be able to get all of the information they need by accessing the "Reference Books" section on my website- https://fortunesofwarmilitaria.com/  Standard, hardcover copies will be available at $69.99 plus postage.  50 Numbered Deluxe Edition copies will also be available at a slightly higher cost- $85.00 plus postage.  The web people will probably have the site updated by the top of this next week.

Thank you again for all of the interest and support on the book!  

Mike Bortner-

vintageproductions

Mike- That is killer news.

Now you know I have to have one of the Numbered Deluxe Copies. Where do I send the money?

Bob

Fortunes Of War

Hi Bob-

I put you on the list.  The website should be updated in a couple of days with all of the ordering information.  

MikeB

Fortunes Of War

Greetings!  I wanted to let everyone know that my website has been updated with the information and link to my newest book, Battle Carried: Imperial Japanese Tiger Art Good Luck Flags of World War Two.  You can find the information under the "Reference Books" tab https://fortunesofwarmilitaria.com/ I am taking pre-orders right now and am hoping to have copies in hand, within the next couple of weeks.  I want to thank everyone again for your interest in the book and for the well-wishes received over these many months.  Regards, Mike Bortner

Fortunes Of War

Hello Everyone-
I want to share an update on the price of my upcoming book. I was notified by the publisher this afternoon that they are having issues with their printer/distributor over the cost of the book, and the original price that was established. Evidently there was a discrepancy in the cost of paper. I was told that Standard Editions of the book will now be $69.99, not $59.99. That also means that the Deluxe Editions will now by $85.00 rather than $75.00 I am beyond embarrassed and frustrated to have to post this and wish to apologize to everyone. Anyone who placed a pre-order for the book will be guaranteed the initial price. The new price for those placing orders from this point forward, will now be the ones listed here.

Michael Bortner

• 2 weeks later...
Fortunes Of War

Hello-

I am pleased to let you know that I will accepting the first delivery of my latest book, Battle Carried, this week.  Once I have the book in hand, I will be able to begin to fill orders.  I am also pleased to announce that the book has been nominated for three awards in the following categories: World History, Art and Military History.  Please stay tuned for further information and details.  The nominating organization supports small and limited press books, Indie (independent ) publishers and others.    

MikeB   

vintageproductions

My copy came in yesterday.

Got to flip through it quickly and it looks killer.

Tonight I get to sit down and really go through it.

Thanks Mike.

Fortunes Of War

HI Bob-

I am happy your book arrived safe and sound.  Once you have had the opportunity to go through it, be sure to let me know your thoughts.  I am nearly out of my first batch of books, and I will have to soon order more.  I want to thank everyone who has purchased a copy.  Have a terrific Easter weekend!