World War I Ceramic Memorial Plaque

Bruce Linz

Hello,

I am hoping to get some information on this World War I Ceramic Memorial Plaque.  I am familiar with the Death Penny, but have never seen one of these plaques before.  I see from the back stamps that it was made by the Royal Household Company.  That company calls this "The Century Memorial Tablet".

It is named to Lance Corporal Albert Drury, 1/7 West Yorks.  I confirmed that this was Killed in Action on 03 September 1916.

I have included three photos.

I am also interested in its value.

Thank you for your help.

Semper Fi,

Bruce Linz

Art - plaque - British ceramic death 01.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Very nice item. A private purchase indeed.

In the Netherlands similar items were given by municipalities to veterans of their city/village.  

Regards

Herman 

• 2 months later...
ErwinRommel1940
On 11/9/2020 at 1:58 PM, Bruce Linz said:

Hello,

I am hoping to get some information on this World War I Ceramic Memorial Plaque.  I am familiar with the Death Penny, but have never seen one of these plaques before.  I see from the back stamps that it was made by the Royal Household Company.  That company calls this "The Century Memorial Tablet".

It is named to Lance Corporal Albert Drury, 1/7 West Yorks.  I confirmed that this was Killed in Action on 03 September 1916.

I have included three photos.

I am also interested in its value.

Thank you for your help.

Semper Fi,

Bruce Linz

Art - plaque - British ceramic death 01.jpg

Small world. I picked this item up at the tiny Indianapolis Military Show today.

• 8 months later...

very nice and a very uncommon item, these also came in a paper version, same design but I assume much cheaper to buy.

I also have one to Wm. Williams south wales borderers, sadly 24 soldiers of this name fell in the great war whilst serving with the regiment.  I see they both have the same frame.

SWB 1 m.jpg

SWB 2 m.jpg

SWB detail m.jpg