Japanese luck flag?

Garandrew

Fortunes Of War

Hi Garandrew-

This is not a Japanese good luck flag (hinomaru yosegaki).  What you have is a Japanese off-to-war banner or shussei nobori.  These were given to Japanese servicemen who were heading off to war or being into inducted into the service.  The art design on yours is probably the most commonly seen.  Unfortunately, the banner has been trimmed on the bottom and the name of the man who it was presented to was eliminated.  These banners normally name the person or organization giving the banner and those have been eliminated in the trim job as well.  Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it's not worth much in this condition.

Mike

vintageproductions

Usually these are much larger. Smaller ones are at least three feet long while some are 10-12 feet long.

Fringe is usually on all the sides except for the top.

Fortunes Of War

It looks like they removed the trim, cut the banner and then sewed the trim back along the bottom edge.  I'll try and add a photo of one from my collection so that you can see how they normally look.

Mike

off to war banner for book (2).jpg

Fortunes Of War

Since we got on the subject of Off-To-War Banners, I thought I would post a couple more examples for people to see.  Along with that type of nobori (banner), there are others that are fairly rare.  Some banners were made to announce the return of a soldier, sailor or airman.  This type is referred to as the "Triumphant Return" Banner.  There are also Funeral Banners, made to announce the death of a man.  These often display the name, and sometimes the unit of the person who has died.  Funeral banners are not common primarily because most were disposed of, following the funeral service.

Mike  

5 Off-To-War Banners.jpg

Fortunes Of War

Here's another nobori, with an unusual trim at the bottom; very colorful.

Mike

IMG_0718 (2).JPG