Need help with this German Uniform

Baron Krimmling

Baron Krimmling

Hello Everyone--- I found this last weekend---- Can anyone tell me about this uniform---- pre World War One--- World War One or post war----- What rank--what branch--- Anything would be great---- Thanks Mark

100_0366.JPG

100_0365.JPG

100_0367.JPG

100_0368.JPG

Okay, until the experts will chime in here are my first thoughts: Infantry, Pre WW I, Rank: Unteroffizier (NCO) or Sergeant. I have to some more research regarding the shoulder boards.

It has Swedish Cuffs, hmmm, Garde Grenadier Regiments wore Swedish Cuff, but there was no 6th Regiment, they only went up to 5. Field Artillery wore Swedish cuffs, the 6th was, Feldartillerie Regiment von Peucker (1. Schlesisches ) Nr. 6, but not sure where the Guard Litzen comes in, this unit as far as we can see did not wear this on there uniform, plus the Litzin seen here on this coat is most unusual.

Is there any markings inside anywhere?

Here's one example of what is called Doppel Litzen (Double Lace, Braid ) below.

t15i888.jpg.8d1717cd570047ea65a5a11a2490f358.jpg

The Litzen here on this coat posted seems to be a Einzel Litzen ( Single Lace, Braid ) made of Cloth tape, not metallic cloth, and with unusual 'Lights". Lights are those two thin colored lines on this insignia, the Red and what looks like Grey.

100_0368.JPG.eee619b6c01f01a17a0d4cecd8a4c8fd.JPG.4bf04b47a0d24a22b1dc2e32fc015a57.JPG

It wont be a Bavarian Coat for the Bayerisches 6. Feldartillerie-Regiment Prinz Ferdinand von Bourbon, because the Bavarians used different buttons. buttons with a Lion.

6462.jpg

I think the correct designation would be "Offizierstellvertreter" (roughly: Deputy Officer), a rank between Feldwebel and Leutnant.

6 hours ago, Proud Kraut said:

Correct, flaming bombs for Field Artillery and crossed grenades for Foot Artillery.

Richtig

Als

Niederschlesisches Fußartillerie-Regiment Nr. 5

s-600.jpg

On further research, we find Engineers wore Swedish Cuff as well, and their Button Color, was White (IE Silver), we also found Engineer Officers wore Litzen on the collars and cuffs, this one a post 1914 worn one as Offizierstellvertreter was a mobilization grade/rank, this man had it pre 1914, upgraded it with new insignia and wore it say on leave etc

Since this Offizierstellvertreter has Litzen, perhaps as an Offizierstellvertreter of engineers they were allowed to wear Litzen, here a inexpensive variant of cloth tape. The Green tape at the base of the shoulder strap? maybe a Kompanie  designator?

Member Krimmling.Any update on the marking in coat?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
On 11/30/2020 at 2:55 PM, Proud Kraut said:

Correct, flaming bombs for Field Artillery and crossed grenades for Foot Artillery.

Lars, For reference having reread a couple of my books we see that these Yellow Fuss Artillerie and Red Feld Artillerie with  Flaming Bombs/Shell are the 1915 Pattern to be worn now on the new M1915 tunics, and Greatcoats, of course they show up on the M1910 and M1914 Transitional  tunics as well.  prior to this on the new M1910 Tunic, the shoulder straps wear feld grau and had the Regimental Number, or if applicable a Cypher/Monogram., it was also the same on the old Blue Tunics, Number or Cypher/Monogram, I think the only Artillery Regiments who had Flaming Bombs/Shells were the Guard Field and Foot Artillery then, and maybe a couple or more line regiments had Flaming Bombs.