A Christmas Sword

SARGE

Gents,

In honor of the season I thought I would post a sword that was given as a Christmas gift in 1933.  This sword is an example of why I always pull a plain-Jane sword out of the scabbard to look at the blade.  

This is a Mounted Officer sword by WKC that has a polished plain brass hilt with no decoration.  The hilt is identifiable as being made for an Officer due to the reinforcement block seen at the juncture of the straight cross guard and the P shaped knuckle guard.  This embellishment is not normally found on Enlisted swords of this style.  The sword has a standard black painted steel scabbard with a single movable ring but also has a triple etched blade.  The blade has the usually encountered WKC style full etching with foliage designs and personalized etching panels on both sides.  One panel identifies the sword as a Christmas gift without identifying the giver.  The other identifies the recipient and commemorates his service in the mounted unit of the Landespolizei.  Perhaps a Christmas gift from his wife?  

Merry Christmas to all and a Happy New Year in 2021. 

Aachen Lapo sword.JPG

Aachen Lapo hilt.JPG

Aachen Lapo Xmas blade.JPG

Aachen Lapo blade.JPG

Wunderbar, unfortunately I can´t read the writing on the last picture. Could you provide a larger one? Great piece of history. Thanks for sharing & Merry Christmas!

Thanks for the kudos guys.  This sword is shown in the WKC catalog as their "Nr.3 Glatter Offizier-Einheitz-Sabel", or polished officer honor sword.  

Here are some other pictures of the blade etching.  Hard to capture good photos of blade etching like this.  

Aachen LP WKC mark.JPG

Aachen Xmas etch.JPG

Aachen LP etch.JPG