Help: Japanese Mount Fuji rising sun flag and walking stick

24thinfantry

I just picked this up yesterday.  Im not 100% sure but i believe the flag is from the Mount Fuji temple. The walking stick has a bunch of burnings which i was told came from the rest stops or temples on the way to Mount Fuji. Again, i don't want to sound ignorant, i am just retelling what i was told. I would greatly appreciate any help with these items.  I am not sure if the flag is from WWII, I was told it was but you cannot fully trust the words of people. However the walking stick is burnt with 1976 at the top which might be when the trek was made.  The guy told me that the flag was from WWII and came from the temple and after the war the Japanese veteran made the trek back to the temple and used the walking stick with the flag tied to it.  I wish i could say the veteran himself told me this but its hearsay.  My sister-in-law is Chinese and translated a little. She said the flag says Mount Fuji, how tall the mountain is, ans something about loving the journey and being humble or something lile that.  Honestly i thought the flag and stick was really neat. I might try and find a home where someone who is religiously attached to the items or collects Mount Fuji items would cherish it more. But for now i would love to know the meaning behind these items.  If you need close-up photos of the wood burnings please let me know and thank you so much for all the help in advance!

20201204_175651.jpg

20201204_175708.jpg

I can't help you with the flag but perhaps I can with the walking stick.  Your information about it is spot on in that it is bought by a climber and the wood burning is done at stops up Mt. Fuji and the shrine at the top.  Much the same as collecting stamps at various temples or shrines while on a trek to visit various temples or shrines.  This is still done today and I think the 1978 date would be correct.  

Perhaps a closeup of the flag might help more knowledgeable viewers than I to read it and give you a time period.

Thanks Sarge for that information!  I will take a closer photo of the flag.  Hopefully someone will be able to read it or know something about it.  Thank you once again!

Here is a close-up of the flag and writing.  The flag is cotton and its printed. Its a small flag probably around 14×10 inches.  Hopefully this photo helps.  Thanks again!

20201204_091707.jpg