Who Tows Wins

Proud Kraut

What comes to mind when reading the topic´s title is of course the British Special Air Service motto "Who dares wins". Going through some stored away boxes I found several remains of 1/35 scale SAS Jeeps, including the Tamiya and Italeri ones, I built decades ago. High time to bring them to life again.

WTW 01.jpg

I added a team of 5 Long Range Desert Group soldiers by MASTER BOX. The LRDG was working together with the SAS very closely.

WTW 01a.jpg

As the titel says the real heroes of my next project are those who keep the wheels rolling.

One of the first military vehicles I had in my possession was a die-cast British Army Scammell tractor made by Matchbox. I´m sure it´s still somewhere at my attic. And I still love the oldtimer design of this truck. When I found this 1/35 scale Scammell tractor by IBG-Models I had to get it at once. MiniArt brought out a British Jeep Crew which seems to be tailor-made for the Scammell.

Here the story goes. In the African theater a Scammell tractor crew helps out some SAS/LRDG members who´s vehicle got stuck in the desert sand. So this dio is dedicated to military logistics.

WTW02.jpg

WTW02a.jpg

Thank you Rich!

I received the last model today. It´s the old Tamiya Chevrolet Command Car kit. So I think I´m well prepared for the next lockdown which comes up over here.

wtw 03.jpg

I like the bumper marking "INSPECTED".  It makes you wonder what that referred to.

As a former vehicle maintenance and supply officer, I'm always glad to see the support sections recognized.

And I think such scenes have great potential for a modeling project.

AA 142.jpg

Yes, I served in the support branch (Transportation) as well in the 1980´s. Never ever operate without being sure about Mun, Sprit, Inst. (Ammo, fuel, maintenance).

There are so many excellent maintenance vehicle kits out there and yes, your picture has great potential. Obviously it´s a Ford Mutt that has to be recovered here. Thanks for sharing!

Okay, I must admit, I wasn´t able to find out the meaning of the bumper marking "INSPECTED". Does it mean the vehicle or the color...? If anybody knows please share this secret with us.

This kit came with  a set of resin wheels. Seller added them because all rubber wheels were broken.

wtw 04.jpg

They are offered everywhere and you can find them for nearly every type of vehicle. And to tell you the truth I don´t understand the resin-wheels-hype. I compared the resin wheels with the original ones (I still had a set from an old kit) and they are exact as detailed as the rubber wheels. Okay it took two times more two apply them. So I´m still working on the chassis.

wtw 05.jpg

The mystique about resin is that it shows off details better than plastic. I like working with resin but like you said the rubber ones have great detail. And from what I see you did a fine job painting that wheel. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this kit.

Semper Fi.

Manny

Thanks guys! Manny you made a good point concerning the resin details. I´m thinking of the resin figures I built and you´re probably right.

I´m happy that I have started my project with this specifik kit. It´s easy to build, very detailed and still (45 years after it´s first release) state of the art. It has several moveable parts, two figures ant lots of equipment and stowage. Here´s the Chevy nearly completed.

WTW 06.jpg

It looks great.  I agree with you both about the resin and some of the photoetch stuff.  In some cases the cost and effort required really doesn’t add much to a carefully built and painted model.  

I forgot to mention that Tamiya released a Command Car Chevy together with the MasterBox figured I´ve posted before recently.

British command car.jpg

This kit came with another "Panzer Art" resin stowage set. My first thought when applying the accessories was: It looks more like a garbage truck than a military vehicle now. I did some more online research and indeed found a picture of a LRDG Chevy loaded similary. Okay, they were out in the desert for weeks...

WTW 07.jpg

WTW 08.jpg

WTW 09.jpg

Looking good Lars. I'm looking forward to the painting of this Chevy truck. I feel that if you're not planning a scrap/salvage yard; like Dennis inferred, with all those Jeeps, it might be a nice little Light Vehicle Convoy in the Sahara. 

Semper Fi.

Manny

Thank you all guys! Well, after the Chevy became part of the project I decided to limit the Jeeps to 1-2. I simply doesn´t have the space for a larger desert dio.

Got me a set of WW II British Army desert colors from Vallejo. I have learned that British camo painting is a science on it´s own.

wtw 10.jpg

I continue with the assembly of the Scammel truck. I must admit that I haven´t checked the kit in detail by now. I think this is my first IBG-Models kit and I was surprised to see that the model seems to contain of more parts than the real vehicle, wow! To give you an impression of the amount of parts here are the sprues:

wtw 11 a.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The more I´m working with that IBG kit the more I like it. I´m really impressed by the incredible detail of the Scammel. Here´s the engine block, composed of 23 parts.

wtw 13.jpg